Dish Network locals picture quality improving

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bonner, Feb 26, 2002.

1. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Last night I watched a few of the CBS Monday night lineup (King of Queens, Raymond, Family Law) and the picture quality was very good! I know Dish's local PQ has been regularly peppered with insults but if last night was any indication, they're on the right track. Anyone else notice this?

2. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

It's all over DBSforums.com. It's true. It seems that they gave the Olympics more bandwidth and now have evened it back out. Ironic it's the same week Echostar 7 was launched, but it's not turned on yet.
    I am new at this DISH stuff but I like it!
    I get my locals over an antenna in Jacksonville. THey suck and they just got worse when I requested an adjustment to my antenna. My bad. [​IMG]

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Thanks Ivan, I'll check out the scuttlebutt at DBSForums.

4. Scott Littlefield

Scott Littlefield Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ivan!

5. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Whoa.. ok gonna switch topics a little (Sorry) but running into two fellow Jacksonvillians (?), I can't pass it up.

Do either of you guys have HDTVs and/or converters? I want to get an HDTV but other than Direct TV's HDTV feed is there anything local played in HDTV? If you have no idea, that's fine just can't pass up the opportunity to ask someone that knows. Most sales people are without a clue.

Doug

6. Scott Littlefield

Scott Littlefield Stunt Coordinator

Hi Doug,

Sorry to report that outside of satellite service there is no HD broadcasting in Jax. Channel 12 is teasing us with their "Only station to broadcast in Digital" ads, but they aren't HD. I almost went with an HD set shortly after Sound Advice began displaying them, but I couldn't justify the cost without the locals in HD. By the time we do get HD locals I would imagine the HDTV sets will be even snazzier than they are now.

On the other hand, if you don't already have satellite and are looking into it for HD broadcasts, I'd recommend Dish Network since they have more HD programming than DirecTV.

Scott

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If Dish purposely allocated more bandwidth to NBC for the Olympics, then they violated FCC regulations. They can't discriminate against a local channel by doing anything that favors another local channel. All local channels have to be treated the same way. But if their MPEG encoders dynamically allocated more bandwidth to NBC whenever NBC had fast moving scenes that needed more bandwidth, then I'd say that's fair, provided the other channels can also get the same benefit when they need it.

But Charlie could probably get away with it, at least until a complaint is filed, because although the FCC has said discrimination/favortism isn't allowed, the FCC hasn't throughly defined what constitutes such activity.

8. Jonathan Burnett

Jonathan Burnett Auditioning

FYI, WTLV-DT DID broadcast the Olympics in Jacksonville in 1080i HD. It was fantastic! They were using a borrowed encoder that has since been returned. Their own equipment is being installed right now and they expect to be on the air in 2 or 3 weeks. WJXT's equipment is due any day and will likely be testing before their official up date on May 1st. WJCB began testing their digital transmitter last week, but won't begin around the clock programming until May.