Dish Network HDTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Does anyone here have HDTV through Dish Network? I'm looking at switching (and upgrading) from SD Pegasus to Dish and I'm wondering if I need two dishes for HD from Dish? I've seen info that mentions that HD from Dish requires two dishes, but the info looks to be a few months old, and we all know how much things change in a few months. I'm looking at the 811 (along with a 301 in the bedroom) with AT120+HBO+Showtime+Locals+HD.

On a side note, I stopped into my local "quickie cell phone shop" and asked a few questions. It quickly became evident that the guy didn't know his butt from a hole in the wall so I left without any more information that I went in with (when asking about locals, he mentioned that if they transmitted in HD, I would get it on the Dish Locals package... I didn't attempt to explain that I didn't think that was the case).

Thanks!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They are offering a free 811 HD receiver with some new customer promotion. The last I heard, it was back-ordered about a month. Take that time to research the receiver because there are bugs. People at AVS have connected it to the same antenna as the older Dish 6000 receiver and it's OTA reception was poor at best.

As for dishes, you would have two options. A Dish500 (a multi-sat dish pointed at 110 and 119) and a Dish300 (18" dish) pointed at either 61.5 (east coast) or 148 (west coast). Or you could get a SuperDish which is a bigger version of the DirecTV multi-sat dish. Check Lyngsat to find out which HD channel is on which satellite.

After reading here and at the satellite only forums, most installers at completely clueless about HD. Other's don't know the first thing about satellite installations. You take your chances with a "pro" install. I'd run all the wiring first so the guys can't screw that up. They may be able to use your existing DirecTV wires but that will depend on the system you get.

-Robert

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I just ordered my locals from Dish and would be needing the SuperDish. And the kicker is....ready for this,... I'm scheduled for an install of the dish on April 3! And that's the closest! I haven't decided on which HD receiver yet. As u can see, I have some time to think it through, or maybe the bugs will be ironed out by then.

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

That was the other amusing part of my visit to the local shop, they quoted me a 2 or 3 day installation timeframe. (i.e. I call on Monday and they'll install on Wednesday or Thursday "at the latest".)

So, with the SuperDish, there is no need for a second dish? I'm looking in about ten places for this information (dishnetwork.com dbstalk.com avsforum.com here etc etc etc) and I'm in that unfortunate "I'm not "quite" up to speed" phase, and everyone is talking over my head... I haven't been in this position since I bought my first speaker set 5 years ago...

5. charlie o

charlie o Stunt Coordinator

We just had dish installed this last week. I had called everywhere and nobody had the 811 local. I called a place that had a add in the dallas newspaper and they had them in stock. I called monday and he made it out thursday. I couldnt believe they made a 2 hour drive up here. I had the 811 installed and also a 301. They used 1 dish the 500 series. I got the top 120,hd pack,hbo/cinamax pak. I did not get locals due to I am installing a 50' tower to get the locals and the ota hd and digital stuff.

6. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Charlie,

I was thinking of doing the same (put up an antenna) to pick up locals & local HD. Does the antenna feed directly into the 810 (as I imagine)? Then does it go to an A/V receiver?

Thanks!
    Bob

7. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I ordered the the 811 and 2 301 from dish first week of january and they don't have it. they told me it was back ordered for 3 to 4 weeks and told me they call me when they get them. called them up just last friday and got it installed sunday. they only used one dish and i installed and outdoor antenna to get local digital channel. and now i'm a happy camper. didn't get the movie chanels though.. all i have is the local digital and the hd package dish have. not sure if they still have the free hd (811) recciever though.

8. charlie o

charlie o Stunt Coordinator

The 811 has a coax jack labeled ota ant. the audio will go through the optical cable.

9. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully I will give a gleem of hope to many of you. I called and purchased my HD satellite system from dishnetwork on 2/9 and am getting it installed tomorrow (2/18)!!!!!! I too called dishnetwork and they said they were on backorder. But I stumbled upon a web site...you guys better right the url right now. www.vmcsatellite.com (sorry i don't know how to post it as a link). They are running a promo offer until feb. 20th. they will install up to 4 rooms for free. and give you up to 2 hd 811 boxes for free, and as many dvr boxes as you want....all for free!!!!! I called and asked if they had the hd boxes available. They said their customers get prefered treatment and longest anyone has waited for a box was a week. So I ordered 1 HD box and 1 DVR and all it cost was 49.99, and the best part is that $50 is taken off my first months bill. As I said I ordered on 2/9 and actually was supposed to get it installed on 2/15 but they had to cancel because of bad weather. And they made all the effort in the world to get it reschedules ASAP. If anyone wants HD now and without having to pay a dime (yes they are rented boxes, but who cares!) go to that web site and order. Hopefully this helps you guys out. (no i do not work for them)

10. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

and if anyone is wondering I think all the charge is to rent the boxes is $5/mo. All I know is I am "renting" 1 HD box, 1 DVR, getting the 60 channel pack, hd pack. 60 channel pack is $24.99 + hd pack $9.99 + dvr service fee $4.99 which adds up to $39.99. When I asked the dishnetwork guy told what my bill would be he said $44.99 so I can only assume it is costing me $5 a month to rent both an HD box and DVR box. works for me!