What's new

Dish Network HDTV reciever worth it? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Hi Folks,

First post to the Home Theater Forum, but have been reading and absorbing for a little while. Wife and I just purchased a Mitsubishi WT-46809 as main TV and are pretty happy with it. Only problem is that Dish broadcasts on our larger screen look pretty fairly grainy, probably due to just having more screen space than before (27"). Lots of 'pizelation' that we didn't notice so much before, some channels are better than others though.

Now, the questions to anyone who has a DISH HDTV receiver (6000 model?):

* Is it worth it?

* How many stations does DISH broadcast in HDTV and how much better is the picture?

* Would we need a second dish on roof, or is it just the receiver that is changed?

* Would we get the local channels that DISH provides in HDTV, or need another tuner?

* Does it cost any more per month for the HDTV feed?

FYI - We live in the Denver area, if that affects anything.

Many Thanks to any who can advise,

Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
*It depends on you.
*HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, CBS-HD (if you qualify) and HD-Demo (only on the 61.5 sat). The picture looks great.
*You would need at least another dish pointed at 61.5 and/or 148. I say "and/or" because some people who qualify for CBS-HD are getting both the east and west coast feeds from the different sats by using two extra dishes. You will also need the model 6000 receiver.
*You have to qualify to get CBS over the satellite. With an antenna and the 8VSB module (inserted into the 6000) you can get whatever is broadcast OTA if you live close enough to the towers. I have read over at AVS Forum that there is a problem with Denver and towers being built.
*Showtime and HBO feeds are included in their respective packages. The Demo is free. CBS is a couple of dollars. OTA is free.
-Robert

Dick Doll

Auditioning
I have a Mitsubishi 55857. At first I was disappointed with the picture. After about 100 hours of use the pictures was better.

The best HDTV is OTA, next best is Sat. I use 148 here in California for HDTV. The 6000 is OK for a 1st generation unit. Things will even out after all the merger decisions are made. Dish will be coming out with a HDTV PVR in the last part of the year or 1st part of 2003. I believe it is called the 921 with HDTV recording capability. If you can satify yourself with DVDs unil then it may be worth the wait. If not, the 6000 is good.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Thanks Robert and Dick. If DISH is looking into a HDTV PVR for next year, I could just wait for that. I did go into the 64 pt convergence menu and fine tune the TV a little more, picture is improved a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks