What's new

Dish network. Anymore HD channels anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I looked thought the forum and could not find any info on it, but does anyone know if and when more HD channels will become available to Dish network? And also their on demand sucks. Any word if they are going to improve that as well?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both Dish and DirecTV are bandwidth limited on adding new HD channels.

DirecTV is adding local HD on their new Ka band spot beam satellites and should start adding national HD channels shortly after another pair of satellites are launched this summer and fall.

I haven't seen any news that Dish is adding new satellites so don't expect much unless they drop some Voom channels.

-Robert

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith

Last week Dish indicated that they will be launching two satellites within a year. These will be specifically for MPEG4.

And, now that Dish has their MPEG4 decoders working, they can add some additional HD channels. And they just added CinemaxHD.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did see some postings at AVS where Dish is also downrezzing their HD picture like DirecTV does.

-Robert

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith

I am not sure but from what I read the two satellites will have all of the channels that are on the 110 and 119 location satellites but in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2.

And, since MPEG4 uses less bandwidth per channel, there will be more capacity for additional SD & HD channels.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Odd- I called DISH last week and they said they had no plans on new HD channels. I told them the reason I was switching - because of lack HD and they said no plans! morons!!

That is why I dumped them - I knew DIRECT was adding many more within a year.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
But they HAVE to do that. Because how else can a cable or dish provider provide their customers with 300+ channels of high-quality entertainment like The Skateboarding Dog Channel, the Bitch-N-Moan Reality Channels Pack and the Septic Tank Extreme Makeover Channel?

It's all about choice people, and more choices - any choices - always guarantees more happiness.

:rolleyes

For more see: Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph. Shown is six theaters for an entire week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks