DISH NETWORK and Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David Coleman, Mar 18, 2006.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Jan 5, 2000
    I am a recent subscriber to standard resolution Dish Network. I'm curious to know which of the pay channels (HBO,STARZ,CINEMAX,THE MOVIE CHANNEL) broadcast in Dolby Digital?

I know each pay service has multiple pay channels and wondering is Dolby Digital offered on all those channels and if not what are the channels they are offered on?

If known are the number of DD channels the same as Direct TV?

Thanks in advance!!
  2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Jul 3, 1997
    I'm not sure about the SD side of things since I usually watch the HD channels. That's where the DD 5.1 "action" really is on DISH. On the HD side of DISH there is a ton of DD5.1 material. HBO-HD and Showtime-HD offers DD on a lot of stuff, as do the locals in HD (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) if you are in an area that can get them. Then there are the 15 VOOM channels which, I believe, are 24/7 with DD 5.1 (unless the source material doesn't have it.) The concert channel (RAVE) has continuous concerts in 5.1, for example. I'm also leaving out some of the other HD channels that also contain 5.1 audio (like HDNET and many more). Right now, if you get locals in HD you can have about 30 channels in HD on DISH with about 90% of the stuff (rough guesstimate) in DD 5.1. I believe it was stated somewhere that Dish offers ~1700 hours of HD programming weekly.

Hope that some of this helps.