Dish Network $999 RCA TV w/ tuner deal...tv any good?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrianEK, Jan 22, 2004.

1. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Samsung 32" EDTV tube set but decided I want to go true HD. But I have to keep my budget under $1000. I had looked at the Samsung 30" widescreen but 34" would be ideal. Dish network has a deal for new subscribers that for $999 they give you a 34" tube tv and HD reciever. I called and confirmed the tv is the RCA D34W20 (but they slap their dish network logo on the front instead). I cannot find anyone who carries this TV and want to know how it looks. It's great for the price but I don't want to buy a tv with a crappy picture. I was wondering if anyone has this tv or if they have gotten this promo and can tell me how good the picture is. or I live in Wheaton, IL if someone knows where I can go look at it myself. I have to make a decision by 1/31/04 because that's when the offer ends. So any advice ASAP would be EXTREMELY helpful.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Looks like a solid deal. DVI input, 2 tuner PIP, 16x9, and a HD Tuner from a fairly reliable brand name. RCA had alot of QC problems a few years back but that seems to be behind them and their current lineup seems to be providing alot for the money and acceptable quality. I was very happy with my D52W20 (52" 16x9 HDTV) and only parted with it to go Front Projection. I know 2 other people w/ the D52W20 and they're extremely happy with it. Both were abl to get it under $1k when HH Gregg ran a "Family prices for everyone" add and Sears pricematched and took off another $60, so it's hard to complain for the price, but it's still a great picture and solid build for a lower end RPTV. Based on that experience I would feel comfortable buying another RCA product, especially at the price you're talking

If that's the size you need and you feel the HD content available on Dish and OTA are worth it then I'd definitely go for it. I would make sure the tuner that they're providing is indead an HD tuner, but something tells me it's not.

3. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

I signed for the same deal and they will come next Wed. to install it. I checked about RCA D34W20 HDTV monitor, and it seems to be a good one with all the needed features (e.g., 16:9 wide screen, DVI-D input HDCP-enabled, PIP tuner and 480p/790p/1080i formats). The satellite receiver, DISH811 is a HD receiver with DVI-D out supporting 480p/780p/1080i. It also has one optical digital audio output for Dolby Digital.

I am anxious for the system to be installed. I will post my initial assessment.

4. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

I may have this wrong but I think they are not flat-screens where virtually all the Sony and Samsung at 30 and above are flat. The WEGA has spoiled me for flat screens, of course a 34 WEGA HD up here in Canuckistan is still about 3K so maybe curved isn't so bad! The deal does sound hard to pass up.

5. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

RCA D34w20 is a flat-screen HDTV CRT monitor. It is listed on the Wal-Mark online website for $1,294 before tax and shipping.

I have read a couple of professional reviews. It is ranked as excellent. However, it is an old model (end of 2002). You can search eCoustics.com for the reviews.

6. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

For the money I'd go for it.

There IS a difference between 34 HD Flatscreens in quality with WEGA being the clear winner in my opinion but they are all very close when it comes to watching dvd's and probably hi-def. Sounds like 999 is very hard to beat. Keep it for a year, sell it and upgrade. If they had it here in Canada I would go for it in a minute.

It seems like RCA had an early hi-def 16x9 that had a round screen, that must be what i was thinking of.

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I think this is an awesome deal and will jumping in as soon as they offer it to assisting customers with the 921!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Peter Ping

Peter Ping Agent

The promotion will end on Jan. 31, 2004. If you want it, you have to jump in right away.

9. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Im pretty sure the February promotion is with the 921, and the TV (either the tube or the RPTV) for 1599. Ill be in on this one :)

Regards

Gregg

10. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Greg,

Did you get this deal yet. I want the same thing, but can't find anybody selling the 921 with the HDTV set. I was wondering about your impressions of the product.

Troy

11. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi

Ive made some phone calls and have even emailed the CEO.

They have the TV sets but the problem is the lack of 921s. They will not sell the TVs separately and both need to be purchased from a retailer (not directly from Dish).

Regards

Gregg