DISH HD vrs DVD quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DonnyD, Apr 2, 2005.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've been catching some great movies on various HD channels and have began to think that the sat feed was a little clearer than the same dvd. Perfect Storm was on DISH-TNT-HD last night which gave me a perfect opportunity to compare the quality difference of the sat/HD feed vrs a dvd .........what I found was astonishing.......
    The Dish/TNTHD feed was spectacular! MUCH more crisp and detailed... also a brighter picture..... and it wasn't just a little difference.... it was a HUGE leap.....

My player is a newer Panny (47 I think), hooked to my hdtv via Canare componet cables and the HD/DISH receiver is hooked up with componet cable that was supplied with it. I went through every setting in the player and the tv also trying to make the picture quality of the dvd better but never even got close to the TNTHD feed. I still have no answer but hope some of yall here have experienced this.........

It has me thinking that:
    1) I need a different/better dvd player
    2) The TNT feed is not using a dvd as source
    3) my dvd collection is souring with age and quality is leaking out.....

Anybody else noticed this ?

2. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Your posting leads me to believe you are surprised by HDTV being higher quality video than a DVD of the same program. DVD's are not HD!! You can spend all you want on cables, players, etc. and will still see a huge difference between DVD and HD. All of us who have HD sources--Dish, Direct TV, Cable, or Over-the-air--have seen what you describe. The only situation you may not notice much difference is with a small screen--less than 32".

Within a year, HD DVD players and programs will begin to appear on the market--at a cost similar to what the first DVD players and programs sold for. That will put our current DVD collection in a similar status to where our VHS collection is now. I have a stack of 12" Laserdiscs that will never be viewed again. Technology just keeps moving forward!! That makes us want to temper our excitement and wait for the next breakthrough, but it's hard when something as good as DVD's are available. It's hard to imagine what could be better than a good HD source and Digital Surround sound but even that will happen!

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yeah, I was surprised.
    Today, I've caught The Haunting on TNT-HD and again, ran a comparison of the two sources. Not nearly as much difference in the quality but the TNT-HD feed was still slightly better.
    This firms up the thought that the HD feeds are using a diffenrent source material along with the dvds that are released to the public are certainly not up to par with HD material.
    This has really got me looking forward to the upcoming Hd-DVD format!

4. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

Hi There----I have been under the impression that stations use dvd format when displaying movies on HDTV. If they have higher source material i would be really suprised. I realize that liive programs shot in HD would be true HD but movies? Maybe they upscale the dvds before they broadcast. Just wondering and would like to know for certain.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Don't be. Movies are downconverted to DVD from the HD master. The donconversion is even worse for DVD since we're talking about 480P vs 1080I/720P for HD.

Donny,
    You could benefit from a better dvd player but the improvement won't be huge as far as video quality goes.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

High definition and DVD are two separate things — for now. As noted, high definition is coming to DVD this fall (Toshiba's HD DVD). Remember, you're comparing 1080i resolution (HD) with DVD's 480 lines in progressive scan. Big difference. But HD DVD will give you all that high-def glory at the end of this year. (There's also Blu-ray Disc on the way, as well, but that's another conversation.)

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yeah...about 300 DVDs in my collection would have to be replaced soon but not yet. I guess I'll be holding off on the HD DVD for maybe another 2 years.
    Now as for HD feeds and DVDs, I have an upconverting DVD player and I have done A/B comparisons between upconverted DVDs and HD feeds. To most viewers, one cannot tell the difference...like me. Of course, I'm not diluted to say there's really no difference but hey...my eyes ( and others )say it looks good as the HD feed, I'm good to go baby! [​IMG]

8. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

Hate to belabour a point BUT are you guys saying that the stations have access to HD masters and that is what they are using for transmission. I'm certainly not a noob to Home Theater and of course I know about HD DVD and Bluray on the horizon---just didn't realize stations would have that kind of access to better format materials.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes. However stations don't have the access. It is being given to them as part of whatever agreement they sign with the studio. When a dvd is made it is made from studio master and downconverted to dvd. It is also downconverted to HD but the downconverted HD master has more resolution. It isn't the material as much as the difference in resolution.

10. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Broadcast television studios use HD capable recording devices. Instant replay of sporting events is often in true HD--sometimes not. New and old film, especially the 70 mm format surpass even the HDTV standard. Broadcasters like HDNET must use HD copies of these films.

At home, the only true HD recording and playback is via DVHS on tape or the new DVR (Tivo) hard drives. The DVHS prerecorded movies are amazing--true HD video and 5.1 sound.