Dish hardware, what equipment should I get ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am thinking about getting Direct TV and dumping Cox Cable. Is it better to go with the equipment they provide or is there better quality equipment out there that would provide a better picture and better features? I don't mind buying my own equipment only if it means have a much better picture!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There will be very little difference in picture quality between the free receivers that you get from them and more expensive models unless you step up to HD. The SD picture will look the same but you will be able to tune in HD channels.

What features are you looking for? HD? DVR? HD DVR? Local channels? Local channels in HD? Local channels in HD via satellite? Local channels in HD via antenna? Why am I asking all of these questions? You have a lot of choices and if you make the wrong one, you are stuck in a year or two commitment to D*. You don't want to have the wrong equipment.

-Robert

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have had both Dish Network and DTV in the past but before HD was available. Right now I have cable with Cox Comunitcations and I really cant stand the quality on the SD channels for the most part. And there equipment sucks!

Right now however I am getting local channels in HD and a few other HD channels like HBO-HD and Starz-HD. I would like to have the same thing on dish and I would like to have a HD-DVR as well. Hopefully dishes DVR is better than the DVR with cable. I remember seeing equipment from Sony for DTV so that was one of the reasons why I was wondering if buying my own would be better? Cox uses Scientific Atlanta and I hate both the HD cable boxes. The hd-dvd gets stupid and forgets to record programs and the video quality looks worse than the channel does when watching it live. The other HD box gets stupid ever once in awhile and forgets everything about ch100. So I have to unplug the box and wait a few minutes and plug it in so it can rebot. Oh and Cox has no movies on demand here in Phoenix and about 4 or 5 pay per view channels that are not adult channels.

What dish service is better now DishNetwork or DirectTV ?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Your are going to get a ton of different responses because each person has different priorities. I'm a Tivo fan so I'm sticking with D* and the HR10-250 until all of the HD switches to MPEG4. That could be next year or five years from now. Dish has a few more HD channels since they picked up Voom. Some people like them so don't. You need to do the research as it applies to your priorities. We can answer the technical questions when needed.

-Robert

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

nice to know did not know that.

I would love to see MPEG4 for satalite that should really provide alot better picture quality, at least for HD. I do like Starz HD but Showtime HD would not be bad ether. Do you have compression or motion artifacts with HBO HD on DTV? I apreciate the information, I will be checking out the web site closely and looking at channel line up and what they offer. I really hate the fact that Cox is so far behind everone else. At least here in Phoenix they are. My sister lives in San Diego, CA and she has movies on demand. Actually she has a large list of movies on demand and pay per view channels on her cable. Here in Phoenix cable has 0 on demand channels and 6 pay per view channels showing regular movies. And about 9-10 adult pay per view channels. Cox charges to much and like most cable companies claims it cheaper. They have alot of duplicated channels and junk channels that if they steamlined it they could pick up some bandwith or even use that for a few more HD channels. Like Showtime HD or Cinemax HD. I remember seeing Voom at the 04 CES show in Vegas, so I was disapointed that Voom went under. I am looking at the Dish channel line ups and so far DishNetwork is looking alittle better so far. If the picture quality is the same then as long as I have SD SciFi, multiple premium movie channels, Military Channel, Discorvery Channels and TLC I will be doing great.

Direct TV HD Line Up - Channels I would want
    TNT HD
    ESPN2 HD - For NHRA Drag Racing
    Universal HD - Shows alot of good movies and the new Battlestar Galactica
    Discovery HD - Love that channel
    HBO HD
    Showtime HD

How is HDNet? How good is the programing and is it comercial free? And how good does there HD pay perview look?

Dish Network - Channels I would want
    TNT HD
    ESPN2 HD - For NHRA Drag Racing
    Universal HD - Shows alot of good movies and the new Battlestar Galactica
    Discovery HD - Love that channel
    HBO HD
    Starz HD
    Showtime HD

Channels I need to check in on:
    World Cinema HD
    Animania HD
    Film Fest HD
    National Geographic HD

can anyone here with DishNetwork tell me about those 4 HD channels?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I've never ordered one.

-Robert

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have been thinking about this today and if there is a chance for improvement with mpeg4. I may just use the equipment from the dish company and reevaluate later on down the road after mpeg4 is in place.

I would imagine that mpeg 4 would look better because VC-1 is defanently better than mpeg2. This has been one of the big divisions between why HD-DVD looks better than Blu-ray currently.