What's new

Dish Grounding (1 Viewer)

Chris Reitano

Auditioning
I just moved and I was using an aerial antenna until I was able to install satellite or cable, and since I never in my life had anything I ever owned hit by lighting, I was not using a surge protector. Well I needed a good excuse for my wife to ok the purchase of a larger tv anyways. So...before I install satellite (never owned satellite before), can anyone direct me in the right direction of proper (and maybe even over doing it) dbs/satellite grounding?
Thanks-Chris

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There is an excellent article on this subject by Dan Collins over at DBSForums:

http://www.dbsforums.com/reviews/tech1_5.html

You'll still want that surge protector. Grounding only serves to protect against electrical fires - and lightning is only one of many reasons to ground.

My properly grounded roof antenna has been hit twice in 15 years, destroying several thousand dollars worth of gear. But because of the proper grounding, I still have a house.

-Scott

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
A satellite dish... It has it's good side and it has it's bad side...

Unfortunately, installation is a bad side... What a nightmare that was... Did it about 8 years ago or so when the mini dishes were fairly brand new... Ended up moving so it was all really for nothing...

Hopefully, you have a better experience... Just make sure to have a clear view and to install everything properly... One false move and your house may go up in flames if this dish is struck and not installed properly... Use caution and you must have patience for this process if you run into a problem...

As for the grounding... Someone else can better explain that... I am not even sure to this day if ours was properly grounded...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks