What's new

DISH DVR vs. TiVO- seeking opinions (1 Viewer)

TerryPM

Agent
I currently have TiVO and DISH 6000. I am considering the 921 in order to record HDTV, but am concerned that the DISH DVR wil leave me regretting the loss of TiVO (no season passes in particular). Anyone have experience with both that can offer an opinion? Is there any way to get the equivalent of a season pass by programming the DISH DVR? Can you set DISH DVR to record same time every week?
Thanks.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The Dish DVR can record the same time every week no problem, it would be sort of ridiculous if it couldn't. It just doesn't match the Tivo in catching things like when shows move around, or bonus episodes, or NBC's "supersized" episodes, or ignoring repeats. Doesn't have the "wishlist" functionality of the Tivo either.

In my view your decision should be between the 921 & the upcoming HD-DirecTivo, its true competitor. The main hardware differences are that the 921 has 2 sat tuners but only 1 OTA (so can only record 1 OTA program at a time), while the HD-DirecTivo has 2 sat & 2 OTA. On the other hand the 921 has a firewire out but the HD-DTivo doesn't, so presumably some content (depending on copyright restrictions) will be able to be archived to D-VHS or other types of external storage after it's enabled.

The HD-DirecTivo also has the more powerful Tivo software of course.

TerryPM

Agent
I've also heard that D*TV compressed their HD signal more than DISH, with resultant loss of picture quality. So my dilemma is, I'll be able to keep TiVO by switching to D*TV, but what will I lose? Potential Firewire recording capabilities, I know. What about HD services and picture quality?
Thanks.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
People who have both D* and E* over at AVS seem to claim no noticeable difference in PQ on the HD channels. I wouldn't put any weight on that. For me, the dual OTA is a must, so Dish isn't even in the running. I'm only deciding between D* and cable, since cable has the huge upfront cost advantage.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They were compressing it earlier in '03 but they stopped around November. A few guys at AVS with the 169Time recording modification check their HD recordings and give regular updates. Somehow they can look at the size of the bit stream and DirecTV is giving their HD channels full bandwidth now.

-Robert

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've had my 921 since 24 dec. 03, one of the first in state!:D I would have to say that the PQ is better than my #6000. Dish does have some bugs to work out, hopefully they will be corrected with the next software download (L1.44) that should be out in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks