DISH Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Durham, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

Just got a DISH 501 installed and am trying to figure out how to be able to use the optical output. I bought an optical cable and run it to my Denon 3801 and have changed the digital input on the setup menu of the Denon. I have also checked the 501's DD menu and saved that. Could I have a bad cable or am I missing something?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you are getting no sound at all, It is a good chance the cable is bad..If you are getting sound but not dd 5.1, not all the dish channels are dd 5.1...Only HBO and showtime both regular and HD channels have 5.1 as well as starz on some movies and the PPV channels..

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My Dish PVR501 is 95% of the time emitting a signal from the optical (toslink) output (even when it's off) so if you simply unplug the cable from your 3801 and leave the other end in the 501 and you don't see the red light, then it's most likely a bad cable. You should also then be able to unplug the cable from the 501 and if you don't see the red light right in the 501, then something is fishy with the 501.

You should be able to get PCM data from all the DISH channels, however like Mike I says, only certain PPV or premium channels broadcast in DD5.1

Jay

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Todd- You might also want to check the setup menus. I believe there is a setting where you can specify Dolby Digital sound only, PCM only, or both. As said above, there is not much Dolby Digital programming, so if the menu is set to Dolby Digital only, you won't usually have sound from your optical connection.

Hope this helps.

Steve K.

5. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I know your post is a month old, and I hope you have it working by now, but if you don't here's the trick I had to do...

My 3801 has to be in "Auto" mode to see the DD signal coming down the optical cable. You also have to assign the digital input in the menu on the 3801. Go to the menu called "DIgital In Assignment" and select the input you have your PVR501 going into for video (probably TV/DBS. At leat that's where I sent my Svideo cable) then you can select the optical in for audio from 1 and 2. My manual says don't use Optical 3 but I don't remember why.

I'll post this to the thread on HTF as well.

My only dissapointment with this system (I've had it a week) is that the movie nets don't show widescreen movies very often. It's blashpemous to hear DD on Starz and see pan N scan crap.

All my best,

6. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Ivan- I agree about the blasphemy of Pan and Scan combined with the beauty of DD5.1. They're showing movies the way they should sound, why don't they show them the way they should LOOK too? Fortunately, Sundance Channel (part of the Showtime package) seems to show virtually everything in OAR. Unfortunately, Dish doesn't carry Sundance in DD5.1, but that may not be significant since they feature older movies and newer independent productions, so perhaps DD5.1 wouldn't be used all that much anyway. But given a choice, I'd rather watch a movie OAR and stereo than P&S and DD 5.1. Hopefully someday one of the premium channels will do everything right.

Steve K.