Dish Dolby Digital Sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill W, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Bill W

Bill W Extra

So, as I understand it, with a satellite dish the only way to enjoy dolby digital sound would be primarily via the premium channels and pay-per-view movies? Are there any other sources of dolby digital programming over the standard channels? Isn't most of the audio just dolby-surround and not requiring a dolby digital receiver? Is the 4922 a decent receiver? Thanks!

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yes, pretty much as far as I know. The only time I actually heard Dolby Digital from my Dish is when Starz was having a free promotional weekend, other than that, never. I don't subscribe to any premium channel nor have I ever used PPV. However, you still get digital PCM audio from the outputs on all the stations so I still use it alot when watching movies and stuff, still better than using my speakers on my TV or using the analog outputs from my 501.

Can't help you with the 4922, the model is really the 4900, the '22' is just the installation specifics, BTW so if you search on it on the net, you might want to search on both.

Jay

3. Bill W

Bill W Extra

Since I don't plan to watch pay-per-view or premium movie channels, maybe I should just go with the the 3922 reciever which doesn't do dolby digital (why pay for something I won't be using). Though as you explain it, the digital pcm audio would be available on the 4922 and not the 3922?

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Bill,
    Bookmark this link Shows in DD 5.1 . Long before I got into Home Theater I bought the 3900 series receiver (w/o Dolby Digital) and now I'm sorry I didn't go for the 4900 series.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I would imagine that digital PCM audio would be available for EVERY channel as long as the unit has a digital output, whether that be Coax or Toslink. At least that's how it is with my 501. That's just a function of the receiver, not how it's broadcast, obviously it's all digital but not all DD encoded. So I would conjecture that if you get a receiver with a digital output, you'll always be able to use that signal and your own DA converters and HT, like a DVD player, pretty much.
    I think I would compare the cost differences, if you don't ever plan on upgrading, see if the cost diffs justify the digital output. I think I would still go for one with a digital output because I use my 501 as a tuner. If you get AT150 package from DishNetwork, it includes some pretty decent commercial free digital CD quality audio. I never thought I'd be paying for a dish to get music but since I wanted to get OLN (Outdoor Life Network), I had to subscribe to the AT150 which includes all those CD channels and now I'm always listening to the rock and jazz channels there. I think you'll find that they're pretty good, commercial free, and worth it to use the digital output connected to you DD processor or receiver rather than the analog outputs on the Dish receiver. Do you know what plan are you going to subscribe to? I'm not familiar enough with all the packages to know if the AT100 includes the CD channels, but if you're going for the AT150 plan, I would really consider a Dish receiver with a digital out.
    Good Luck with your decision though, either way.
    Jay

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

After looking at the dolby site, I wonder when dish will pass the DD signal on ABC unless there talking about HDTV only.

7. Bill W

Bill W Extra

John, thanks for the dolby digital link to the programming offerings. I had no idea ABC television net. was transmitting in dd. Not sure if Dish is passing the dd signal for availability on the 4922 receiver. Maybe a moot point since I don't think local channels via Dish are available here in the Washington, D.C. area. Jay, I'm probably going to subscribe to just a basic set-up...Top-50 channels, HBO, and I'll buy the 4922 package and try to set it up myself. I might also note that this satellite research experience has included a pretty steep learning curve for me. This site has been very helpful. However, I've found the retail programming sites, for the most part, quite lacking in presenting the basic information in a straight forward manner. Go figure.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey, here's a link to some pretty good info including a FAQ from alt.dbs.echostar, I really looked at that site pretty throroughly before I got my PVR501 this past July:
    Echostar Knowledgebase
    and of course
    www.dbsforums.com is a popular site for all things DBS...
    Jay

9. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have an rca with ac3 out into my a/v on direct tv. Hbo and dtarz utilizes quite a bit od DD. Some of the free concerts as well as ppv are DD to. I am happy I upgraded.

10. Judson West

Judson West Auditioning