DISH & DirecTV = DVI; CEA = IEEE; Hollywood = Both

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hitchman, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The topic header says it all.
    Looks like you'll need a decoder box and an HDTV that will have both HDCP/DVI and 5C/IEEE digital, copy encrypted video interfaces or you're going to be S.O.L. very soon. Good luck trying to find them, however, as no one manufacturer has stated their support for including both protocols.
    Hollywood loves this confusion, I'm sure. They would like nothing better than to see HDTV shrivel up and blow away. Quality is anathema to them.
    Dan
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 26, 2001 at 02:00 PM]

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm a bit troubled by this, since I have a seven-month old Pioneer 510HD that cost $$$.
    I don't care how it happens, as long as I can watch 1080i on my current TV for MANY years to come. I'm not concerned with copy-once/copy-never at this point. I just want to be able to use the TV for what I bought it for!!! (besides DVD watching)
    If not, somebody will be giving me my money back- the dealer, the MPAA, or Pioneer.
    Todd

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'm surprised there aren't more opinions about this turn of events.
    It will effect everyone with an HDTV and future customers.
    Dan

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

To be perfectly honest... I'm hoping for a huge price reduction on existing non-compliant sets. Since I will not be watching HD for years to come, my main interest in getting a HD-monitor is so I can watch DVD's in 480p (or better with an HTPC). If these sets will be obsolete soon, I expect the prices to drop dramatically. I would like that.
    As for the copy protection thing, I don't care. What I'm worried about is the "fair use" rights that we as consumers have. I time-shift a LOT of my programming, if that would become impossible I would have even less interest in HDTV.
    /Mike

5. Todd Hochard

Over the weekend, I sent this to Pioneer's customer service department-

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Three words: Class Action Lawsuit. It will be our only defense.
    There must be some lawyers who are HDTV owners that frequent this site, avsforum.com and the other forums that are talking about this sickening course of action within the Electronic industry.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Yeah Matt!!! And, don't forget the B-word, boycott. We kicked DIVX's butt, now it's time to take on the MPAA. I too, demand fair use of signals. I'll have no intrest in HDTV if there is no time-shifting. My life doesn't revolve around TV, Tivo captures what few shows I bother to watch. The DMCA is patently unconstitutional too! It's got to go. The MPAA can just go home and pout as far as I'm concerned. Hi-def is coming for broadcast and sports. I have friends who work at Cinetel, which does the Home & Garden channel (HGTV) and also produces content for A & E, TLC, and the History Channel. They've been producing hi-def content for two years now, with the expectation it will be transmited as such eventually.
    I will not suppourt 5C, the MPAA can kiss my thingie! I bought my HDTV monitor to watch DVDs on. I never did expect the MPAA to get into the game without a slanted field. People will never accept HDTV without time-shifting/recording. We take this stuff for granted. The MPAA is living in a different reality than the rest of us! -end of rant!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I can say that I am completely dumbfounded by this turn of events. Although, not completely surprised. I mean Hollywood simply said that their most prized productions would not be made available in HD unless there was copy protection involved. So, that was the final word.
    However, I must say that this has all gotten a little rediculous. I mean a standard could not be established for simple digital transmissions and now we cannot decide what type of encryption to use on our non-established digital transmission. Good grief! [​IMG]
    I would tend to bet that their will be a fix for all current HDTV owners at some cost to the consumer. We all purchased HD upgradeable sets right? Several TV manufacturers have shown an interest here, and I personally feel assured we will have an upgrade solution available when this all goes down.
    Actually, does anyone know when this mess will actually start? I mean when will HBO HD be affected?
    C. Ryan

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

It will be the end of next year before the new stbs will even begin to hit the market carring DVI and IEEE...
    Any HD programming you currently receive now such as HBO HD showtime HD and any over the air HD content will NOT be effected by these changes..It will basically effect some (not all) ppv movies and other speciality ppv events...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on July 31, 2001 at 06:53 AM]

10. Todd Hochard

11. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I am a newcomer to the HDTV scene and while I don't understand all that has been mentioned (or all the history/polotics) I do understand the implication. Early adopters will get nailed trying to get their sets up to spec or HDTV will die.
    Now before you all cry foul at this lets think about it. How long has this thing been dragging on? How many J6P's have adopted HDTV? How much HDTV content is really out there in % terms?
    Now add to this the possability of not having time shift capabilities and it's bye bye HDTV. It's been there since the early days of VHS and it is now a standard. How many houses in this country have a VCR a don't record with it. Very few I would imagine.
    The HDTV saga has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime. For HDTV to go mainstream the general public have to buy into it. I cannot see that happening with the current proposals. Unless prices become so low that a slick ad campaign triggers mass HDTV adoption.

12. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Wow! I was just about to look into buying a HDTV. Can anyone list the models that will not be affected? Or give me some insight on the newer models(or ones that are coming out soon) that will be compatible with this new encryption crap?

13. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Lets all remember that Hollywood is NOT trying to kill time-shifting. They are only trying to kill time-shifting in HD. Meaning you will continue to be able to record your favorite shows downconverted to 480p or whatever. Yeah, it sucks, but that is the way it will be.
    Oh, and I have read a few things here and there that indicates premium channels will be affected depending what is being shown. Not to mention blockbuster movies shown on network TV.
    C. Ryan

14. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

15. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

>>Lets all remember that Hollywood is NOT trying to kill time-shifting. They are only trying to kill time-shifting in HD.

16. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I think that everyone who owns an HDTV ready device should start emailing/calling their mfgs and anyone who is planning to buy such a device should call up the mfg and ask them.
    I think the mfg will care more about losing current sales due to this issue.
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

17. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Andrew, I was not advocating that I was happy about the situation. Basically, as I said before..."it sucks, but that is the way it will be."
    There is nothing that we are going to do about the inevitable, and it is inevitable. The networks will support whatever Hollywood wants. All we can do now is pester the Hell out of our HD manufacturers to make sure our upgradeable set are actually upgradeable. I have a Mits. but am worried about how much it is going to cost me.
    C. Ryan

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hey, this POS can't fly without audio-vidiots like us to buy it! I won't be buying any of these sets or encrypted boxes next year or any other year. If zealots like us turn our noses up, it's dead in it's circuits....eat static MPAA!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!
    [Edited last by Rachael B on August 01, 2001 at 02:05 AM]

19. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

I have a Pioneer Elite 610,and have been told by my salesman that whatever happens with the standards,he has assured me that Pioneer will not leave their customers in the cold.That being said,this is only coming from my salesman and what they haveheard about this issue from their reps.
    It would seem Pioneer had made it a rather simple enough upgrade with the slots in the back,the question is if and how much it will cost the consumer.I could see a small fee ,maybe,but after spending the big bucks on Pioneer's Elite line,over and above what others cost, it would still seem like I bent over.
    ------------------
    Go sell crazy somewhere else,We're all stocked up here!

20. Robert Packman

Robert Packman Auditioning

Jack Valenti...always behind this..always screwing the enthusiast..but wait we will pay like laser discs==DVD's regular dvd's==special editions,=enhanced=directors cut....NUTS!!