Dish Deal or Not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill W, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Bill W

Bill W Extra

Getting set to jump on this Dish deal and wanted to get some feedback on how it looks to you guys and maybe get some help on what I might be missing. It's the Deal at Costco…for $49.99 you purchase the Digital Home Plan Certificate. The certificate includes the activation fee and first month's digital home payment plan. It also includes Dishpro satellite tv system, 2nd reciever, free installation, and the Top-100 CD programming package. Sounds like a pretty good deal. What am I missing? Want an s-video connection and toslink audio. Don't need digital recording. Wadda ya think? Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Bill: there is a dedicated fourm, the DBS and Satellite Dish area, that might give you more focused response.

I thought you could order a PVR 501 receiver, free installation for just $29 on the Dish web site. Check this first before you try Costco.

Good Luck.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Not sure if I have the same plan, I know it's called "Home something" but I got something at the same price, comes out to $55 and some change ($5 second receiver fee) for AT150 with the PVR501 and the 301, free installation, free one month, etc. I ordered it directly from DishNetwork. If this is the same plan as you're talking about, you do know it's a lease and you don't own the equipment. Although you have the ability to change your programming after a year, you don't own the stuff if that's important to you.

I like the plan, for me, the only reason I went for the highest level of channels is for OLN, which isn't in AT100. The CD channels are cool but I never expected to listen to them as much as I do, so it's like an added bonus. I found myself actually using that connected via my TOSLINK cable to my DD processor and using the Dish as my digital source. I never thought I would use it that way. Picture quality is very good, minor pixelization sometimes, and I don't subscribe to the local OTA channels, our external antenna is decent enough.

Jay