Dish compatible receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Don_K, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Don_K

Don_K Agent

I'm currently using the entry level Dish Network system: Two 301 receivers and a 500 antenna. I also have a Sonic Blue Replay TV unit in the mix.

I'm considering an HDTV monitor, and I'm not too excited about the options Dish offers me: Their HDTV receiver doesn't appear to facilitate hard wiring the IR blaster output from the replay TV, unless that's what the "accessory jack" does. In other words, I think I'd still have to use that stick-on thingy to control the DBS receiver from the Replay TV remote. Sorry to use complex terminology (thingy) but I'm a consumer, not an engineer.

On the plus side of Dish's HDTV receiver, I have the impression that both standard and HDTV is routed through the component video outputs. I wouldn't have to switch between inputs on the TV depending on the type of broadcast?

Dish also offers an integrated receiver/PVR, but it doesn't support HDTV.

Am I stuck with what Dish offers, or are there other receivers or integrated recevier/PVR's that would be compatible?

Thanks, and sorry for being so long winded.

Don

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

To my knowledge, there are no integrated satellite HD/IRD/PVRs on the market, yet, from any provider.

Both DishNetwork and DirecTV have new models in the works, and they should be available Q4 this year, if not before.

Prepare for sticker shock. The DishNetwork HD PVR will likely sell for about $1000.

-Scott

3. Don_K

Don_K Agent

Thanks Scott. I guess I'll cool my jets about HDTV for now, and settle for DVD's and maybe broadcast.

Don

4. Rob_K

Rob_K Auditioning

Dishnetwork PVRs are famous for losing whatever you stored, crashing, and just being a general pain in the ass. I say keep the beautiful Replay TV unit, and perhaps consider switching to maybe DirecTV. I too am I Dish subscriber, and in my opinion their receivers really suck, so if I were looking into HDTV, then I'd go with DirecTV, they have a lot of HDTV receiver options.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've had Dish PVR's for about 4 years and only had loss problems a few times, and most of them were with the older, discontinued DishPlayer.

For Sat service you really want either a Dish PVR or DirectTivo. These units store the digital bits from the sat system so every playback is bit-for-bit identical to the original broadcast. ShowStopper, Replay, Tivo all do analog->digital conversions which create generational loss. (That's if quality is important to you).

6. Rob_K

Rob_K Auditioning

Bob, you do have a point there about the digital to analog and back to digital conversion.