DISH/CBS HD feed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Jr, Sep 18, 2001.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Just read in the new issue of Sound and Vision that DISH will offer east and west feeds of CBS in high def in 35 markets. Is that an FCC limitation or a DISH limitation? Is there any hope for those of us 50 miles from a city in mountainous terrain? If not, I may never make the investment in the equipment.
    ------------------
    Dave

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

Dish is offering it to anybody that is eligible to receive it.
    CBS O&O stations are automatically granting waivers for anybody that needs one.
    So if you live in an area without a Grade B CBS signal you can get it.
    If you live in an area where your only grade B signal is from an O&O station, you can get it.
    If you live in an area where a non O&O CBS station delivers you a grade B signal, you need a waiver from all such stations.
    Ain't the law a wonderful thing?

3. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    My guess is that our local (50 or so miles) is not CBS O & O. I have been told that my area is a grade "B" reception area, I get local CBS reasonably clear, ABC fuzzy, NBC, FOX, PBS not at all, 3 indies not at all (rooftop antenna). Our CBS is scheduled to go hidef in January, but I'll believe it when I see it. Even so, from all I've read, if there's a mountain between me and the station I can forget it, which means I can forget it. My only hope is for satellite. BTW, my local sat guy says none of the locals are granting waivers. What's a guy in the "sticks" supposed to do?
    ------------------
    Dave

4. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Problem is that you're not in the "sticks", you (like I) are between a rock and a hard place.
    I would much rather be in the sticks because you might actually qualify for distant networks.
    Brian