DISH bad quality picture

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Jan 10, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

I know we've all complained about the mediocre picture (pixelization etc) but has anyone had a real answer from DISH about what they are going to do about it. The feeling I get is they really dont acknowledge it or say it only happens occasionally on LIVE sports. This is B.S. I notice the pixelization and soft picture on almost all channels at one time or another.

I keep hearing about new BIRDS they are launching, but will it "REALLY" do anything about quality or are they just gonna use it to benefit themselves with more channels or some other wasted thing?? The point im making is: if they say there isnt a problem, why would they make ANY effort to "FIX IT" Unless they know their is a problem secretly and arent admitting to it. And by the way I do think DIRECT TV looks better. We sale it at the store I work at and it looks a good bit better than DISH. MY MISTAKE FOR GETTING DISH, figured all would look basically the same

2. Scott Greczkowski

When Dish first turned on the Must Carry Channels on January 1st picture quality was the worst I have ever seen in. I almost ditched Dish Network for the poor quality.

In the past week things have improved a bunch (Dish updated some software in their encoders) now the colors seem much more alive.

They still have more work to do but it is better then before.

Unfortunately when their new Spot Beam satellites go up I don't think we will see much of an improvement in picture quality, and that is because the way the satellite are loaded.

If they were to move all core programs from 110 to 119 things would improve slightly, but I dont see this happening.

3. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I've had both Dish Network and Direct TV, didn't notice a difference where I'm at (with picture quality).

I now have dish and one of the reasons is because their aquiring DirectTV. (So the rumor goes)

Not that I care one way or another, their both basically the same for me. I pay $23 amonth for the basic package + locals + speedvision package. Thats far less than what I payed having Direct TV.

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Yes, I emailed them directly and received a warm body response. They said exactly as others have said on the HTF and that is that due to them having to add a lot of the local channels they are running out of bandwidth?? with their current satellites. They are going to launch one or two more and by March, April or May ( I don't remember what month they said) we should see a noticeable increase in picture quality. And they finished it off by saying that they believe that even with the current situation they believe they still have the highest picture quality in the business.

The above paragraph is not verbatim because I deleted the email. But someone mentioned in one of my posts I try emailing one of two addresses. I tried the first one and got a response back in one day.

So hopefully by April or May it should be back to normal.