What's new

DISH and VCR's. Confusion. (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
OK, my father's DISH system is up and running. I went over today to help him tie the cables up and make everything all nice and pretty.
As for the system, I am confused
confused.gif
when it comes to making it work with a VCR for programmed recording. Right now, the 6000 receiver is hooked into the Mitsubishi S-VHS deck via composite video and l/r analog (no S-Video for his TV). To watch the DISH, he puts the VCR into LINE1 mode.
He can record off this, but how does he program his VCR say to tape O 'Reilly at 8 PM tonight? I have read through the manual and so has my father, but we are both stumped.
Thanks very much.
P.S. A strange thing. When flips through channels, sometimes he hits a black screen and the system locks up, forcing him to shut the receiver off, then back on again. This does not happen if he flips through the channels veeerrryyyy sloooowly. As in, changes the channel no faster than say every 5 seconds. Needless to say, this is terribly annoying and driving him insane. He is on the "All Subscribed" channels setting, not ALL channels. This happens with both the 6000 receiver and the 2800 receiver in the bedroom.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 29, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Ok first you have to turn the the reciever to the dish channel you wont to record and hit record on the vcr.
No, you cant not use the vcr to turn the channel on the sat reciever. When I want to record something of the sat I have to program the vcr to record Ch. 3 and set the date and time like you normally would, then turn the sat to the channel I want to record and thats how I get my program to record yes its a pain but thats how it works since the vcr is not a reciever you have to do it that way. If you have anymore question just ask.
------------------

Anthony S

Agent
I'm not positive if the 6000 has a IR blaster but it should. Look under VCR setup in the set-up menu to find this selection. You input the VCR code for your brand of VCR and it will test record if it is the correct code. The receiver sends out a high power IR signle that will bounce around the room and activate VCR recording and stop. It will not turn on the power, but all you need to do is
1) leave the VCR on with LINE1 selected as the input and a blank tape.
2) set up an event timer on the Dish guide.
That's it! The receiver will turn itself to the correct channel and start the VCR recording and stop it when the program is over.
------------------
Tony

Anthony S

Agent
Here's a little more info about VCR setup. My earlier post was a little rushed.
Go to the main menu and select System Setup, then choose the installation menu. From there you should see VCR setup. You input a code that you can find in the manual for your brand of VCR. It should be the same code you would use to program the remote to contol the VCR. YOu can then do a test from this menu. Save the code and then recording is very simple.
Some problems you may run into are VCR/receiver placement. Mine need to be fairly close vertically in my stack to work. I tried putting the receiver up high and VCR down low but no luck. Now my VCR is on the self right above the sat receiver. So if the test does not work but the code works for the remote try moveing the VCR in relation to the receiver.
Then, to record a show, select it from the guide, choose VCR event, and laeve the VCR on, LINE1 as the input (if this is where the sat receiver is hooked), and a tape ready for recording. The receiver will turn on, if off, change to the proper channel, and blast the record signle into the room where it will hit the VCR IR input window and Start the VCR recording. It stops it the same way at the end of the event. Record as many things as you want on as many different channels all at different times on different days til the tape is full.
This all assume that the 6000 has an IR blaster. I think it does but don't take my word for it.
Any more questions, just ask. I've been taping this way for two years now and it is so much nicer than programing the VCR. Basically one touch recording.
------------------
Tony

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, The 6000 has a VCR blaster.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks