HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

DISH activates Google Assistant on Hopper receivers
1-2-1024x683.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
“Our customers have enthusiastically embraced voice control technology as a key part of their TV experience, so we wanted to find a way to provide even more value and entertainment with the introduction of the Google Assistant on Hopper family receivers,” said Rob Sadler, DISH director of product development. “With this update, we’ve expanded functionality to allow customers to not just control their Hopper, but to ask questions, get answers and control their smart home all through their remote.”

I must be an odd ball then because I have no interest in voice control technology for any reason. Especially with what we know about Google and Amazon assistants already. There is just to much uncertainty in how much of our conversations that are being recorded and stored it is like having a spy device in our homes. I know the remote has a button to activate the voice function but can it pick up on things without the button being pressed? It is kinda cool to be able to turn channels by voice but other than that I have no interest in voice enabled devices. I know there is a good percentage of people that do not trust Google and Amazon assistants so this rather positive opinion from Dish is funny. People need to realize there is a level of privacy they are giving up when they chose the convenience of these kind of devices. The same thing goes for wi-fi devices that make it easier for other to gain access to there internal networks or gaining access with no signs of forced entry.

20190520_175327a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks