Dish 811 Feedback

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by GregCole, Apr 16, 2004.

1. GregCole

GregCole Extra

I just got the Dish 811 and I wanted to hear from other 811 owners their impressions. The HD looks awesome, but there are so few stations. It seems my 301 did a better job with my TV's stretch mode. The zoom modes really cut off the picture. Further, I have found it difficult to operate. What are your experiences &/or tricks?

Thanks- Greg

2. GregCole

GregCole Extra

Any 811 users out there?

3. charlie o

charlie o Stunt Coordinator

I have the 811. The pic seems ok but it messes up all the time. It will show all sorts of programs on the guide that are not correct. i also have to wait sometimes when i hit guide for it to download the programs. I still have not installed my 55' tower so i do not have any of the ota channels.

4. GregCole

GregCole Extra

Yes Charlie, I've had the same problem with the guide. I don't like the zoom modes either. Hopefully, they will upgrade the firmware to fix these bugs.

5. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

I have considered sending mine back. Like you said, ever time I turn on the box and go to the program guide it has to download. If this isn't annoying enough, I have all of my components in an entertainment center. I know it doesn't have the best ventilation, but if I don't turn it off every time I use it I come home from work and find it locked up. By locked up I mean the power is on but it won't respond to any of the buttons including the power button. I try to reset it by holding the power button for ten seconds but that doesn't even work. Oh, also a lot of the times when i'm watching t.v. the screen freezes up for a second. It doesn't do it for long but it's not an unusual occurrence.

I left Direct T.V. and went to Dish because of the great deal on the 811. In the time that I have had it all i've gotten out of it is disappointment. There are only a couple of channels in the $9.99 a month extra that you spend. I have yet to see any decent programming of things I actually would like to see. I am seriously considering going back to Direct T.V.

6. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I don't have an 811, but am interested in the quality of the upconversion. Is it better than the 6000?

--John

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The 811 is a piece of crap, don't get it.

8. GregCole

GregCole Extra

9. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Well maybe I am a lucky one, but I just got my 811 on 05/01.

The only problem I see is that the guide doesn't go very far in the future, only 1 hour or so.

Picture quality is great, better then what my Direct TV was. No lock ups or lost picture as of yet, everything seems OK.

As far as complaining about HD channels go, well you knew what the channels were ahead of time so that is your own fault. Only one that really deserves a complaint is ESPN-HD.

Stretch and Zoom seem no different then my Hitachi TV does, I don't use them personaly, go with the gray bar.