What's new

dish 6000 vs the new directv stbs HELP! (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I have had Directv since its inception and now that I finally am having hdtv delivered this tuesday I am faced with staying with directv or moving to the dish network. I have been reading many debates on the merits of both but nothing really stands out as a deal maker except possibly cost. apparently as a new dish subsciber I could get the dish 6000 with ota and both dishes for 349.00, all the directv boxes with exception of the dtc-100 are in the 700 to 800 dollar range. So help me decide please...is there any reason the directv boxes are worth the extra money? sports channels are unimportant to me. and my tv is a 480p and 1080i set, no 720p. Thanks in advance. Scott
p.s. how are the local channels through dish network and directv(from satellite,not ota)im in greenville sc so they are available to me on both systems.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Well, I'd certainly get the Dish, considering the price. In fact... where could I get it for so little, with the full setup??
I'm pretty sure I can get stuff with a cheap indoor antenna (I know someone with the DTC-100 that lives much further away from the towers than I do, and gets it great this way...), so price was the only thing holding me back! :)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill, apparently dish depot has some kind of special promotion package for first time subscribers. does seem like a good deal...I just dont want to have buyers remorse after installing to more sat dishes...means I will have three up there because I have direcpc for internet access

Alan Wood

Auditioning
Scott,
I just went through the same ordeal and went with the Dish Network. I did not get the same price break you are describing as I paid full price for the 6000 receiver, but got the 500 system with basic receiver free for switching from Direct TV. I used my old RCA 18" dish for the 61.5 bird. I had been with Direct TV for almost seven years but two things pushed me over to the other side. The first is one more HD channel to choose from, that being Showtime. The second was the recent report regarding the "Copy Generation Management System" currently in every Direct TV hi-def receiver. If you are not aware of this hidden feature check out the report at E-town.com. To me it is criminal that these receivers have been sold for sometime now with this feature kept quite. I also wanted to send a message to Direct TV. Bowing to the MPAA at the expense of the consumer is wrong. As to the performance of the Dish system vs. Direct TV, Dish is every bit as good and the hi-def from Showtime is spectacular. I watched "The World is not Enough" today with 5.1 audio and in 16 by 9 widescreen. It was excellent! I really think you will like the Dish Network. Especially for the price. I can't answer your questions on local channels. I live in central VA where there is no digital OTA signals. Don't I remember you being a Lexicon user? I have an MC-1 and thought I had seen in the past that you had a Lexicon product. Which ever way you decide with satellite service, I wish you the best. Enjoy that new TV, I know I sure have enjoyed mine.
Regards,
Alan (Chip) Wood
------------------

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Alan, your reply is making this decision easier for me. I guess that price really is to good to pass up. You were right about the lexicon. you have a good memory! I should either never have bought the mc1 or never have sold it..lol I think once you have lived with logic 7 its very hard to be satisfied with anything else. on the bright side the sale helped me to finance building a killer 10" maksutov newtonian telescope lol. I am hoping that my nephew(av dealer) will help me either get another lex or perhaps a meridian processor(Ive heard they are great also) I am dolblydigitaless at present so I need to do something fast...even considered the outlaw reciever to hold me over for a while. Anyway still have my nht2.9s lol take care Scott

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Wait, Mark Cuban (founder of broadcast.com or owner of the Dallas Mavericks) is planing on having a all sports HD channel. I don’t know wither it will be on just DTV or on dish network also.

GaryS

Agent
The HD sports channel will be a DirecTV exclusive and will not be available on Dish.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, that has not been confirmed. Do you have anything to back that up? Anyway I am an owner of the Dish and I'm trying to be optimistic.

GaryS

Agent
Considering that Mark Cuban is close to some DirecTV execs and is leasing the transponder space from DirecTV it is safe to assume it will be a DirecTV exclusive.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your comments, I ordered the 6000 dish system from dish depot and it is scheduled for delivery on weds. I will post my results with the mits807 after I get everything hooked up, thanks Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks