Dish 6000 vs. RCA DTC100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Jim A

Jim A Auditioning

I had "rented" an RCA DTC100 back in January to watch the Super Bowl in HD on my 53HS10 via an OTA antenna and was very impressed with the picture. While I was renting the DTC100, I also played around a bit with watching the normal CBS lineup. I did not like however that everytime I wnated to send output to my Video 5 (HD) jacks I had to get up and physically press the HD button on the front of the unit. Is this normal or should I have been able to press a button on the remote to switch the HD output on and off.
    I am going to go with some sat system this weekend and I am still debating between Dish and DirectTV. I like the fact that with DirectTV I only need the one dish, and I know through my testing that my OTA reception works with the DTC 100.
    What is a real compelling reason to go with Dish for my sat system??? (2 dishes, Dish 600 receiver plus another $125 for the OTA module) The initial setup for Dish for HD is more expensive....why DISH (I plan on going only with HBO for the HD content so I don't care about Showtime - especially since I get all of the CBD HD content)

2. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

With the new firmware in the DTC-100, it is possible to switch from the HD output to the standard NTSC output using the remote. (This was possible before, but only by getting a One-For-All remote and entering a code for the function. I believe the "Fetch" button will now work for switching remotely.
    Eric

3. TimP

TimP Auditioning

I have the Dish 6000 and have never tried the RCA unit. I bought the 6000 for 3 reasons:
    (1) The 6000 integrates the OTA channels into the program guide.
    (2) Dish offers 4 HD channels (Showtime, HBO, Demo, and PPV) while DirecTV has only two (HBO and Demo/PPV).
    and, probably most importantly,
    (3) Dish seems to have a greater commitment to including more HD content in the future as it becomes available. With 4 satellites (only 3 currently in use), they have more bandwidth to allow for it.
    Tim
    "This is my opinion which belongs to me".