What's new

dish 6000 reciever and 480p (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I am writing this in hopes someone at dish network will see it and respond. I as well as many others have televisions that will display 480p through component inputs but will not display 720p or 1080i without down conversion. I have been hoping for quite a while now that Dish network would add a 480p option to the 6000 reciever. I did contact customer service a while back and they said they would pass on the request but I have not heard anything since. So my question is, Is it even possible for the 6000 receiver to be upgraded to include this feature or am I hoping in vain? Right now I can watch hdtv broadcast through s-video on my 16x9 screen and it does look much better than regular channels but having the signal displayed through my 480p component inputs would give me a new level of quality, not hdtv but still much better than s-video. If others here would like this feature too then please help me put the squeeze on Dish to get this done. I am not aware of any reasonably priced 720p to 480p or 1080i to 480p downconverter to accomplish this task. If you know anything related to this please post. thanks Scott Bass p.s. I can be reached at [email protected]

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One more reason to consider a line doubler like the DVDO iScan Pro. Agreed, though, 480P native from the 6000 receiver would be nice...and I would think just a software upgrade.
- Steve

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I was considering iscan but it is my understanding the it will not downconvert the 720p or 1080i signal, it will only upconvert the 480i to 480p, while this may be an improvement in the picture I am making an educated guess that it would not be as dramatic as down converting the higher quality signal. plus if it was simply a software change in the 6000 there would be less manipulation of the signal. if I used iscan then the path would be 720/1080 to 480i to 480p while a 6000 upgrade would give me 720p/1080i to 480p. Thanks Scott

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, are you or Ron aware if anyone from dish monitors HTF, sure would be nice to get a reponse from them on this, other than the generic customer service answers. Thanks Scott

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Dish 6000 actually does an excellent job downcoverting 1080i to 480i. Looks better than DVD in 480i IMO (even though it is not anamorphic). 480p would definitely be a usuable option.

Users who are viewing this thread