What's new

DISH 6000 owners... (1 Viewer)

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering the DISH 6000. I haven't heard much talk about how the picture looks!
Please tell me... how do 480i DISH channels look when upconverted to 1080i on a HD RPTV? I am very interested as I have never been happy with DSS channels on my 56X81 RPTV in 480p. Too many artifacts.
------------------
Tim Sly
Pics of My Dedicated HT with the TW56X81

CRyan

Screenwriter
They look pretty good, but it really depends on the source material. Any older programing is littered with MPEG artifacting while newer stuff is an improvement over my 7200 system. Hopefully, with the next software download, we will be able to watch 480i with the component outs, and will bring the best of both worlds IMHO. Great receiver, just some bugs to be worked out.
C. Ryan

Paul K

Auditioning
"Hopefully, with the next software download, we will be able to watch 480i with the component outs"
Is this just wishful thinking or have you heard that this is something that they are working on? I would like to see this feature too since I don't believe that most SDTV looks good upconverted by the 6000.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
There is nothing in the next 6000 upgrade to be able to watch 480i thru component out..The component out is only for the hd upconvert mode or actual HD
------------------

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
OK, it sounds like 480i upconverted to 1080i doesn't look so great on some source material. Then how does it look as 480i through S-Video(then obviously converted by HD RPTV to 480p)? Better than 1080i?
I assume it will be as I currently have from DIRECTV, some channels look OK and some look bad depending on the source.
OK, one more... how does that HD material looks? Do you wow your friends with the HD demo channel?
------------------
Tim Sly

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I just hooked up my Dish 6000 system and Im very impressed. Of course, I've been suffering with cable for 6 years, but the HD picture truly is impressive. If you're even considering a Dish 6000 and you have a HDTV ready RPTV, I would say run out and get this thing right now! My TV is a TW65X81 running at 1080i. I can live with the 480i for regular programming, it's the HD stuff that knocks my socks off. Even my wife is impressed and she can't tell the difference between anything home theater related.

Some have had there tv's calibrated after getting a 6000 so that the 480i shown as an upconvert looks great - mine hasn't been so I watch 480i thru svhs and the 1080i hdtv thru my hdtv inputs on the tw40x81. The hdtv channels are great - esp when showing a 'true' hdtv signal. I've had dish for 3 years and still like the svhs thru the line doubler on the tv---
------------------

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
So are you guys saying that you prefer to watch the non-HD Dish content through S-video in 480i(or 480p) rather than upconverted to 1080i through components?
BTW,
Just ordered my complete DISH 6023 system from dishdepot.com for $384 delivered. Great price.
------------------
Tim Sly

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
In my installation the SD broadcasts viewed through the S-Video output are sharper and to me superior to the same material upconverted to 1080i and viewed in the HD mode.
As earlier stated I watch HD material in the HD mode and everything else in SD from the S-video outputs.
Steve

Paul K

Auditioning
I'm watching on a 6 ft 16X9 screen, so the upconverts tend to look soft at this size. I have found that upconverts stretched by the 6000 to fit my 16X9 screen look better than SD stretched by my projector. This makes sense, since the 6000 is stretching digitally before the picture is converted to analog.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I'll take anything that can improve
SD DBS signals. I guess I will have to try both and see which I like better. Can't wait, but I guess I will have to... DishDepot is not there today or Monday. Gotta wait to confirm my order Tuesday for the DISH 6023.
------------------
Tim Sly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks