Dish 501 questions..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK, so I was able to watch my first stage of the Tour de France on OLN last night on my newly installed DishPVR system, a 501 and a 301 secondary receiver. Great signal (something like 117/125 signal strength) and a great picture. I setup the composite output right now as my TV only has one S-video input and my DVD player has that. questions:
    1)I was recording the stage on the PTV to test it, but when I went to change the channel during the commercials, it would ask me if I wanted to "stop recording" and go to "live mode" and ask me Yes-No-Cancel..
    I tried it after the program was over but while I was still recording and the recording did stop. Is there any way to watch another show (on the dish) while recording a show? I know I can watch other OTA shows on regular broadcast TV.
    2)Is there a way to use the unit as like a Tivo, like record broadcast TV onto the Dish 501? I don't think so but I thought I'd ask.
    I was peaking inside the unit, seems like they use Maxtor HDs which you can hear a faint whir when the power is on..
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

2. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    1) No, you cannot record one live channel while watching another live channel on the 501. The live part is key, since you can watch a previously recorded program while recording a current (live) program.
    2) The 501 will only record digital programming off of the satellite. No OTA recording.
    3) You will hear a faint whir when the power is on since the 501 is constantly recording. Should not be very noticable however.
    There are several new PVR units being proposed by DISH. You may want to take a look at this thread for more information.
    Chip

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Ian, sounds like the 521 with the two tuners looks like a nice unit on paper.
    The Maxtor isn't noticeable unless you mute the sound and sit very still... and you're near the unit..
    What's with the 'digital camera port' on the proposed 721?
    Is that like a USB port? Sounds like the 721 its basically going to be a PC with a nice bandwidth for streaming video/audio and a NTSC output.
    jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?