What's new

Disguising an SVS (1 Viewer)

Gordon B

Agent
Jerry -- you obviously don't understand female logic. In her logic, the SVS is for me and the furniture is for us! Ergo, she is not spending money on herself; I am the one spending money on myself.
Ron -- she will never admit your subs are not ugly. Every time in the future she tells me she doesn't like the way they look, she is reminding me of the supreme sacrifice she made.
The only problem with the deal is that i have to put 20% down on the funiture next weekend, thereby delaying my purchase for another month. Hope I can get my Velo sold during that time.
BTW, I've told her to tell anyone who asks what those black round things are dehumidifiers. We do live in Florida you know. No one expects a dehumidifier to look like a piece of furniture.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
I'll admit that I don't the female logic fully figured out, but my wife is very different than many on this kind of stuff. She just hates spending money, period. For me, for her, for us, you name it. I'm thankful for the mentality most of the time.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
She just hates spending money, period.
that came from a woman?!?!?!
The Hypothesis:
i always thought their instinct drove them to spend more and more indefinately! i have not met any of these 'women'. all girls my age (18) spend wads on clothes/other random crap every chance they get.
The Proof:
the other day i was at the store with my sister (she's 16) when she picked up something (can't remember what it was) i knew she would never use. when i asked her about it, she said, "It's fun to buy stuff you don't use!"
These are the women i know.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
I fully understand your situation. My wife will not buy anything and hates to spend money. As you said, it's nice most of the time. But, it kind of makes you feel guilty when your constantly spending money on HT (and hunting and fishing and ...).
My wife actually likes the looks of my 20-39 CS better than my old M&K V-125. The second one that is due on Tuesday might be a little tougher for her to swallow. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Robert:
You are going to make your wife swallow the second one when it gets there? :)
All:
I am one lucky guy. My wife wants me to have my HT and doesn't mind where I put my HT equipment as long as it is in the living room. Now she does have control over the rest of the entire house. But the living room, where the HT is, is mine!
Parker

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
If I got an SVS, my wife would probably want to decorate it like R2D2.
wink.gif
My wife is
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gordon:
I KNOW that logic. If she buys something for herself it is for the both of you. For the family. If you buy something for yourself then you are spending money only on yourself and not for the family.
The OTHER logic is that she buys lots and lots of stuff because it is on sale. Give her a 20% off sale and she will buy 200% more. The idea that she is actually spending far more money this way cannot possibly be the truth. She got everything on sale so it cost less. The fact that we really don't need 15 5 gallon bottles of dishsoap also alludes her because she doesn't want to run out of something.
In the end it all belongs to her anyway and when you get the subs set up, both of them, before a time frame of about 3 months she will be telling all of your friends that she not only likes them but that she made you buy them because it was her idea in the first place.
So, get both of them now. Wait a few months until after the surgery to actually be able to set down to enjoy them and listen closely to her phone conversations with your friends.
Parker

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
Disguise an SVS? Why would you WANT to? I think it's an awesome looking piece of gear and I gaze lovingly at it every time I go to the basement to watch a movie in the home theater room. Yes, it is a dedicated room and it is MY room to do with as I wish. If I had the cash, I would add another one- but just for aesthetics, to balance out the looks of the room. ONE SVS 20-39 is rocking my room like nothing before!
(You really have to set up a dedicated room, guys, my living room has NO tv and NO electronics. I like it better that way!)

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
This is an amazing thread :). Thank God I'm single--I now know what 'extra' traits I should look for :)
TV/Ron,
You should probably add secret "SO" or 'WAF' website/menu showing special colored subs for a higher price (only for display-nothing more)- that way married folks can get higher budgets for more HT purchases and guilt-free approval for buying them :). And maybe add FAQ WAF objections in your site
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Kishore

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
The cost of an SVS passing inspection for me is moving my cabinet out of the room. Pre-amp/amp going in my study, which backs up to the home theater. DVD player will reside on the big-screen, and I just need to pick up a Xantech IR repeater.
Plan A was relocate the cabinet, but inwall wires proved impossible. Plan B is cool with me cause I don't have long cable runs now. :) AND I can get my CS-U!!! :) :) :)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Christmas is coming up and you COULD add branchs ornaments and make it look like a Christmas tree.
wink.gif

------------------

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
I have definitely found that it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Asking implies that the wife might have some say in the matter. Not to sound tough, I admit there is nothing worse than the moping, low-saf ?better? half while things settle down, but man does it extend the misery to ask up front. Just do it. Oh, and above all else, act dumb!! "You mean you don't like my new 48" tall black thing in the corner where your (fill in prize wifey furniture) used to be?"
This is a huge part of the attraction of DIY....

Gordon B

Agent
Her's a little piece of logic I tried. It didn't work for me but it might for somebody else. I pointed out that our great room/kitchen/foyer/den area contains more than 1,000 square feet. Out of that amount, my two BMW 7NTs (also called the ugly things with the eyeballs on top) take up less than a square foot apiece (Every thing else, including our 36" VVEGA is enclosed. Add on two SVs subs, and I would still have a measly 4 square feet.
Me: "Dear, I'm only asking for 0.4 percent of the space. Surely you can spare that little amount."
Response: "It doesn't work that way."

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Another strategy I intend to try in the future: editorialize! Don't bother presenting them with ALL the options, since the ones you think are 100% unacceptable always become their first choice. Find that cute little subwoofer less of an eye sore? My dog can fart better than that sub!
No matter how pathetic the cost/benefit or whatever, providing them too many options just raises the probablity of a BAD choice due to size/finish/style/expense/soundpressure/tides/moods/time-of-day/horoscope/whatever.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Another option to disguising the unit is to put some small, usually fake, trees around it... but if it is out in the open, that will make it tough, real tough.
They aren't the greatest looking things in the world - I'd prefer a Chinese lacquered screen myself - but as far as subs go, they're the best looking!
She might relent a bit - a bit - once she sees the fabric on these things. Its fairly nice, and at least with my wife, it helped. The fake tree in front of it did too...
biggrin.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks