1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disfunctional Optical Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris T. Kennedy, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

Okay - what the heck?
    No digital audio ouput anymore.
    Short story -
    Didn't have my laserdisc plugged in. Wanted to watch a laserdisc. Needed optical cable for digital output. Unplugged the DVD's cable and plugged it in laserdisc player. No sound....went to RCA analog, watched disc...end of that story.
    Plugged DVD player back in in the middle of lack-o-digital episode with Laserdisc player. DVD audio still played. Thought maybe my Laserdisc optical connector was dirty. Don't use it often...didn't clean it at the time.
    Now it is 3 weeks later. Went to play a DVD....no sound..?? there is a light going through the optical cable, but no sound when it is plugged into the receiver. Trying it in another jack yields no change.
    Pulled both ends of the optical cable and looked at the whole thing. One end was kinda "fuzzy" (like carpet hair fuzzy) stuff on the end of it. Not good. "Cleaned it" (dry Q-tip)
    I suspect (and hope) that the cable is just dirty and I need to do something a little more scientific to clean it off. If someone has a suggestion for that, please let me know. Otherwise, what is going on here? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

I don't have those options on my receiver. I can only say which digital audio connections are matched with what.
    i.e. "Opti1 = DVD" to assign the first optical input to the DVD setting.
    I guess I didn't make this clear - the DVD player and receiver have worked just fine with this setup. All of the sudden, however...it doesn't anymore.
    - Chris