Discussion/Question On How To Handle The 2002 Film List

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Whyte, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Hey everyone,
    As many of you know, I am the silly fool that invented what is the 2001 Film List, the "diary" of which many of us have poured lots of work into all year long to keep track of all the films we've seen. What started as a test/idea turned into a major thread for the movies section.
    I will be starting the 2002 Film List in early January, once I get confirmed word the awful January titles are opening (first few weeks bring us Orange County with Colin Hanks and Jack Black, Accidental Spy with Jackie Chan, Kung Pow! Enter The Fist, A Walk To Remember (which looks like a bomb but it does have Uber-cute Mandy Moore in it, free of all excessive makeup), Snow Dogs, etc. Pain. [​IMG]
    What I would like is any questions or discussion on how you would like to handle the 2002 Film List. Some areas to consider:
    -Would you like to keep things the same with editing our posts and making update posts, or all entering our lists and making it a sticky thread?
    -Should we have a certain criteria setup at top, such as this:
    2002 Film List
    Last Updated: 1/2/03
    Criteria: Academy NY/LA Release Date/Worldwide Release Date
    Total Films Seen: 123
    -Is there anything you would NOT like to see us use on the 2002 List that we are doing right now? (My suggestion: the Top 10/bottom 10's)
    There are some things I'd also like to add. In my opening post, I'd like to keep a weekly updated list of every participating member's location, total films seen count and mention of last film seen, like this:
    Member/Location/Total Films Seen/Last Film Seen
    John Steffens Las Vegas, Nevada 409 Cheerios: The Movie
    These are all just ideas I am tossing around, and I'd love to hear any of your input, suggestions or questions you may have.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I like the ideas presented. Except I want to see Cheerios the Movie now[​IMG]
    I think it would be better to leave a worst/best list off the 2002 list, that way it's a surprise at the end of the year.
    Plus I also want to add some catagories.
    Short Films
    DVD Dir Editions
    Documentries
    and of course our "Movies Seen for the First Time"

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Looks pretty good. Of course, I'm going to just do exactly what I've been doing this year, regardless. [​IMG]
    I do like have a standard set of things up at the top, and I whole-heartedly endorse making it a sticky thread - if "List of DD-EX/DTS-ES Discs" gets a sticky thread in "Software", the '02 film list merits stickiness, even if it means giving up updates, as much fun as they are.
    There are a couple of things I would suggest, but not too strongly. One is not having both alphabetical and by-rating lists of the movies; it just makes the list twice as long to no great gain. Another is not including movies you haven't yet seen on the list unless it's somehow informative (i.e., "would not see because of the godawful trailer").
    But, again, these are only mild suggestions. I, personally, use the thread mostly to organize my own thoughts, and the big 1-to-n list works for me, whereas by-date or by-title works for others, so let's not try to homogenize it too much.

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'd say to break out films watched on DVD from films watched in the theater, but that's just me. I haven't even bothered listed those things I've seen at home.

Just for loading purposes, I'd also recommend dumping any pictures.

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I sort of liked the top 10's BUT I agree that the surprise would be more fun. So out with those. I rarely bother with a bottom 10 anyway, at least if I can help it. [​IMG]
    I notice that you guys who get a lot more theater trips want to break those out, but I do have to supplement my $6-$8 cinema visits with DVDs. Considering my various setups I don't find it to be much of a change (sometimes it's a more pleasant experience). Also, I rarely catch "good" films on DVD instead of the theater.
    I'd say sticky, lists-only.
    I plan on adding photos of my top 10 after the year, just like last years thread.
    I will continue to have a few summaries above my list of the most recent additions.
    I agree with the idea of listing all participants at the top.
    Seth Paxton - Indianapolis - 1 - "Coupon: The Movie"
    [​IMG]
    From one of my favorite shows ever: Mr. Show
    For our running update, discussions we should just stick with a discussion thread (non-sticky), maybe 2 - art and mainstream. After all we already had Edwin's art film thread. These threads would be discussion, not just mini-reviews. What's coming when, etc.

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I'm one of those people who doesn't (through no fault of their own) get to see most of the new films till they reach video/DVD/cable/repertory, which means that the majority of films that I'll see in 2002 will in fact be 2001 releases.
    Because of that, I plan to carry over my small theatrical 2001 list to the bottom of my 2002 list and continue to update it there (not unlike the 'seen for the first time' sub-thread).
    To me, that seems like a better idea than having to update two separate 2001 & 2002 threads (and it makes it easier to list delayed 2002 North American releases of 2001 films for those using the worldwide release criteria).
    And I'm all for a sticky/updated only thread!
    And go easy on the photos/graphics. Page 1 of the 2001 list now takes forever to load!
    Jason, the rest of your ideas sound good, but who is going to pay your wages for maintaining the updated list of every participating member? [​IMG]

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Whatever changes you decide to make are fine with me. My entry in your 2001 list has proved to be absolutely crucial to my end-of-the-year list making projects.

Plus I enjoy being able to see which releases I haven't seen yet. Keep up the good work.

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

9. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I appreciate the 2001 film thread a lot, too. Thanks for the good work.

These threads should, IMHO, be sticky. As for what people what to add for the movies, it probably won't ending in much matter since everyone would still do their own thing.

10. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

There's some incredible feedback here, much better than I was hoping for! Keep using this thread to toss me ideas.
    Re: Graphics. I hated using them at the start because it kept taking forever to load. What I would suggest doing is go to asteriks for star ratings instead of the star gif's. Those gifs really do seem to hog the page and slow down things.
    I like Dana's bar graph grading though. Maybe we can make an exception for him.
    Re: John's ideas I agree that we should entirely drop the top 10/bottom 10's. I'm working on my lists in private now, and believe me, the choices for my top 10 have changed! Very much so, in fact.
    Also, dividing for different sections is terrific...DVD Directors editions is something John and I discussed after the Almost Famous bootleg came out and could benefit having a little section for it just for notability.
    And our "Movies seen for the first time" will certainly be in full swing (as a smaller font section), but I actually have to give credit where credit is due: to Stephen R, who now has a "Top 10 Films Seen For The First Time" section at the foot of his 2001 List.
    Re: Rockin' Jason Seaver aka. Brattle Envy/Happy Accidents Promoter's ideas Sticky instead of making update posts would be a nice idea. Although the one part of me still likes to drop a note to update post after I've put up the post, if we have to sacrifice that to make it a sticky, then I'm all for it.
    From a critic who has the damn fine and admirable job of making me friggin' laugh, damn I'm glad to hear that! [​IMG]
    Thanks also to Kirk for the feedback. It is truly a lot of work, but fun work, and I like having my own little section on the HTF movies to play. [​IMG]
    ---
    Finally, although I am wishing we can come to some sort of criteria for having our 2002 lists set, I still want all of our threads to look and feel original, and to our own designs. I still stand, to this day, amazed at what the 2001 Film List has pulled off and admire all the lists that have come from it, the discussions and arguments, and the friends that I have made from it. Let's make the 2002 List special.
    Thanks,
    Jay

11. Stephen R

Stephen R Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say that all these ideas sound great, and, as sad as it is to say, I think I'm more looking forward to kicking off my 2002 Film List post than I am actually chomping at the bit to see any of January's wonderful selection of movies. [​IMG] (Barring the December hold-overs, of course.)
    I concur about reserving the Top Ten list (save perhaps the "Older Films Seen for the First Time") for an end-of-the-year post. As Jason mentioned, it keeps everyone in suspense. [​IMG]
    I've had fun with the 2001 list, and I greatly look forward to 2002's. The way it's shaping up, the 2002 list might be the single most rule/guideline-heavy, intensively planned, constantly monitored post ever on the HTF. Quite an achievement by itself. [​IMG]

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"The way it's shaping up, the 2002 list might be the single most rule/guideline-heavy, intensively planned, constantly monitored post ever on the HTF."
    And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way! [​IMG]

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I would like to keep doing the independent films thread most especially during the summer months. And since I will be supporting non-mainstream type films, the total number of films seen will mean nothing to me. I will also keep my list North American wide release based oriented. It's hard for me to keep track which films are getting an early release elsewhere in the world especially this time of the year.
    Besides, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just look at the film that started all this discussion from early this year, In The Mood For Love. That film is just now getting recognized by the New York Film Critics Circle.
    ~Edwin

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Members,
    I'm glad that you all take time to compile and post a listing of the films you've seen with comments as to your likes or dislikes about them. However, the new listing for 2002 will not be a sticky thread. Sticky threads are only done so on a temporary basis such as the SVS contest, forum announcement, or a hot disussion/information thread. Once a discussion/information thread has run it's course as far as active posting participation then it will be unstuck and maybe archive. I will continue to prune the new thread as I done the old one, if you want to continue to post your review comments but I will not sticky the thread indefinitely. But one thing I will do is when the thread is posted in January, I'll sticky the thread for a period of only two weeks to garner it some attention. After the two weeks it will then be unstuck!
    Crawdaddy

15. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Also, for the opening post. Have an index guide on where you can find certain members lists.
    So, say there is 3 or 4 pages long of lists. and I want to find Matt Chimel's list, but cant really remember where he is at. I just look at the index, and see that he on page four.

16. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I like the idea of having the Name/Location/ etc etc. Also John's idea of having the links in the first post to a members name is good and would come in handy. Apart from those additions I think it should remain pretty much the same.

Jason, Will you be starting up a new thread? Or will the topic heading just change to 2002 Film List?

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

JohnS,

18. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

19. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

And also, the 2001 Film List dropped off the movies page TWICE yesterday and it's getting hard for me to do updates now, which is all the more reason to have it stickified. It is certainly a resource worth having on the movies forum, if I do say so myself. [​IMG]
    All together now.....sticky thread.....sticky thread....
    Oh and to John's suggestion, I will be putting post number for everyone's entry in brackets as well. That's a GREAT idea and thanks for pointing it out. (Of if you guys could give me a pushdown URL for your list, I could hyperlink over your name.)
    Jay

20. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    These all seem like great ideas and I concur with all of them.

I'd also like to echo the restriction on pictures and graphics. My post in the 2001 thread is at the bottom of page 1 and I couldn't get to it for the last three weeks because loading the page overloaded the capacity of my home machine (I did update this morning at work).

Thanks for all your good work on this.

Rob