What's new

Discussion: Previously-Viewed versus New (1 Viewer)

chrisMCG

Agent
Hey folks,

I just wanted to start a discussion on previously viewed films. I have about 700 DVDs, and for the first 2/3's of my collection I would primarily buy things new. Since discovering previously viewed DVDs however I have found my wallet burdened a lot less, and I've been able to pick things up for a hell of a lot cheaper than new.

I find it takes a mix of patience and good judgement (some previously viewed discs go fast, others keep dropping in price until they're gone), what are your thoughts on PV DVD?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
PV discs can be a great find with regards to price, but the condition of the DVD is a major factor with me.

Because most people rent mainstream Hollywood stuff - these PV discs are almost always in bad shape (it's amazing how people treat their CDs and DVDs).

I find that independant and foreign films (my preference) rarely get rented (if ever) and are in mint condition. Can't complain about a mint condition DVD for $10 CAD.

As it stands, I have a handful of PV DVDs. The rental chains dont offer many of the non-mainstream films.

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
i LOVE pv dvds. half my collection are pv dvds
with the price of some titles in my city, i would rather spend less money on the same product even if it's been watched before. 8/10 times the case/disc are in great shape

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I never buy PV "rented" DVDs but from others. My main outlet is to try a Amazon.com search and look at the Used link for that title.

The only thing you have to watch out for are new sellers as they may try to pawn off DVD's "without cases" which could be copies of the disc or stolen merchandise. Another hint for titles to stay away from would be "different cover art" or "different packaging".

I have found the titles I buy most are those listed as "viewed once" and haven't had a problem with any. A great way to get hard to find titles or OOP items.

Eric

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I visit a used DVD/CD store at least once a week here in town to see what used DVDs they have in stock. A huge chunk of my collection is made of PV DVDs.

chrisMCG

Agent

Oddly enough, I've actually had more defective new discs than previously viewed discs. And depending on where you go to buy, you can usually get all the original slipcases and inserts as well.

Matthew J

Agent
These PV Discs take SOME abuse, stuff that I would never ever ever let happen to any of my discs. But they mostly all seem to play fine

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I recommend Amazon Marketplace, which is what Eric H. is referring to in the first sentence of his post #4. I've had consistently good results purchasing CDs and DVDs from Spun and Wherehouse via Marketplace.

-p

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I often times have ended up kicking myself for a buying a DVD new, then seeing it in a used store for half of what I payed. Sometimes even more.

Be sure you shop around, some places like to act like their used collection has all these "hot titles" so they keep the price higher than it should be for used. Also-as stated before- watch out for alternate covers, or other strange things that tip off that the DVD may be pirated.

Question of etiquette, should you tell the store owner/ manager if you think they are selling a pirated DVD?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Given how large the issue of piracy is looming these days, one could argue that etiquette in such a situation is secondary. Or perhaps that the larger etiquette issue isn't whether it's bad form for a customer to approach a merchant about their selling possibly pirated goods, but rather it being worse form for a merchant to be proferring--at any reputable establishment--what they probably know are pirated wares to their customers.

Be that as it may, even the manager of many places might not know/recognize pirated goods as well as you'd like to think. As a practical matter and in the interest of avoiding any in-store contretemps, I'd suggest using the Studio & Industry Links at The Bits to notify the appropriate studio of the suspect goods. Not that you're going to get any response, mind you. And they probably can only act most effectively with samples of the possibly pirated merch.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks