What's new

Discussion on Rons review of Philips DVD recorder (1 Viewer)

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
Has the Phillips rep been here yet? I haven't found a transcript here yet. I'm interested in this machine too, and will probably use it only for recording, at least until there's a fix for the Progressive Scan output. BTW, one of the other forums indicates that some TV's arent' effected. I have the Panasonic CT32HX41 Tau.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I just wanted to say regarding the lack of ability to record High Definition material to the dvd. Well microsofts next wmp player is going to support high definition resolutions and mulitchannel sound, so that means you can simply record the files to the dvd in a high definition format and according to microsoft their compression scheme allows for a complete feature length high definition movie to be fitted onto a red laser dvd.
Of course a HTPC is needed to watch the material and a very fast cpu, but luckily the next generation video cards are going to support microsoft "corona" in hardware so the need for a super fast cpu won't be as much.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...en/default.asp

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keith,

Honestly, I think some of this thread
scared Philips away.

I reminded them about their promise to
have a rep participate here weeks ago,
but have heard nothing.

I am sorry. I know I promoted the fact
that a Philips rep would post here, but
there is nothing I can do if Philips
doesn't respond to my inquiries.

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I am very sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to that. Hopefully, it isn't anything sinister, and that they'll be back once the infamous Progressive Scan problem is fixed. I'm getting one of these this week, and am hoping it delivers as promised. There are just too many LD that aren't available. My one fear is that DVD+R discs will become harder and harder to find unless the format gains more acceptance. Oh well.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Hi

I use both a Panasonic DVD-R/RAM unit and a Philips DVD+R/+RW machine for business and the blanks are readily available at major stores. Best Buy carries them, and the prices continue to drop on both. This past week they had DVD+R discs for $5.00 each (in a multi pack).

By the way, I prefer the Philips/Sony/HP/Microsoft format overall. The DVD+RW discs are fantastic and compatible with most recent players. The Philips even plays DVD-R and DVD-RW!

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I reminded them about their promise to have a rep participate here weeks ago, but have heard nothing.

I am sorry. I know I promoted the fact that a Philips rep would post here, but there is nothing I can do if Philips doesn't respond to my inquiries.
That's unfortunate. To give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they are waiting for the firmware update to become available. Not that I ever trust rumour, but rumour has it that it will be available after not too long.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let you all know, I've had no problem using the Philips 985 to record and view - old vhs (archived my wedding, copies of movies that will never appear on dvd-SOS, ), digital video tape and laser discs. I'm only using the unit for recording/archiving purposes, and have not thouroughly tested it for DVD viewing, though what I've recorded plays fine on my sony 7700.

For what it is and what it is supposed to do, this unit does it well. Discs can be had for ~$5-7 from different vendors.

I'll continue to update as I test.

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I picked this baby up too. I have the same 2 pixel progressive scan problem that everyone said was there. Has anyone heard anything from Phillips regarding a fix? It's not a big problem for me when I'm watching widescreen movies (My TV is 4:3), but I do notice it in full frame sources such as TV. Aside from that, I love this machine. It is very easy to use, and has a superior picture to both my Onkyo and Malata players. I've started to copy those old LD now, and they look very good. (too bad they're still not DVD quality, oh well). BTW, I connected the LD player (Pioneer CLD 5 something) via composite as was suggested earlier in this thread. While this player doesn't have an SVHS out, I was wondering about the VCR connection to the Phillips. My VCR does have an SVHS out. Which should I use?

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
Update: Well, I recorded Star Wars using the composite cable as many here suggested. The picture looked horrible. I then switched to an AR SVHS cable (nothing specatular), and the picture was amazing. So, for me at least the composite is NOT the way to go. I'm using a Pioneeer cld-504 LD player.

Keith Carlascio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith
My daugther got Snow Dogs from her grand-mother as a gift and it does not play in my Philips DVDR985. It just says no disc after you insert it, I have also had problems with it in my Clarion 925 in the mini van. It plays fine on my Toshiba. Has anyone else had this issue with any other DVD player and Snow Dogs?

Thanks

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, I recorded Star Wars using the composite cable as many here suggested. The picture looked horrible. I then switched to an AR SVHS cable (nothing specatular), and the picture was amazing.
Sounds like the comb filter in the recorder may not be very good. The one in the Panasonics is stellar.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
The 985 firmware update is mirrored here. I'm not sure about the region specifics, etc. Better read about it before installing it, but I'm guessing this is for North America only.

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried this upgrade? I'm pretty interested since I'm on the waiting list for the 'official' upgrade from Philips.

Keith Carlascio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith
Upgraded mine tonight. All went well, the main fix for me was the shifted screen and it was fixed. I have been reading that it has not been for everyone.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
There is a review of the Philips DVDR 985 in the Sept. issue of Sound & Vision apparently. I haven't read it though.

P.S. The arrival of the Panasonic DMR-E30 is going to make things interesting at brick&mortar stores. Prices on the older DMR-E20 had been dropping precipitously online, but the local shop still had it for sale at US$1145, probably because of the high MSRP. They expect a shipment of the DMR-E30 soon, and the thing will be listed at US$635 at the same store.

I dunno what the price is of the Philips DVDR 985, because the only store locally that carries Philips recorders only has the DVDR1000 in stock for some reason.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Funny...it says that this model has now caught up in image quality to the Panasonic and Pioneer. So basically it's taken them longer to get to this point...and the Panasonic is about $300 cheaper. What's the bonus then???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallett17
Recent bookmarks