What's new

discs that arive of the spindle (1 Viewer)

ScottCC

Auditioning
Somthing that really pisses me off is when discs arive off the spindle and have aquired scratches in transit, the celophene and security labels are on the case, so you know it's not been opened by the store and it's the fault of wherever it was put together. The spindles i'm talking about are the ones on the amaray case that there is no way the disc could come off if it was pushed onto properly. What kind of morons do these places employ, how hard is it to push a stupid disc onto a spindle, do they only employ drunken fools at dvd plants. Both times this has happened, i've cleaned the disc up and had no playback problems, couldnt be bothered with the hassle of getting it changed.
[Edited last by ScottCC on October 07, 2001 at 10:14 AM]

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
ScottCC ...
The phenomenon known in DVD circles as the "rattler" ...
Bit like the DVD equivalent of "the floater" ...
Yes I've had a few rattlers and as they are normally arrivng from the likes of USA / Canada / Australia I can't be bothered to send them all the way back either ...
Some of the rattlers I've had were in sub standard Amaray type cases and if you push on the outside where the spindle is you could actually detach it, so maybe there's a few vindictive people (postal or airline staff?) who inflict the rattler on us ! (or maybe God just hates me !!!)
Paul
------------------
... hi - my name is Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Dv-Depot open practically all cases before shipping and check disks for damage. The discs are then wrapped in protective tissue or sleeves before being posted. No rattlers!

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Over the years, I've had a few "rattlers", but was able to clean the marks off the data surfaces using dish soap and warm water.
RD

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I've only recieved one rattler in my time. If my memory serves, it was from one of those ungodly rigid center hubs-you know, the ones that permanently damage your thumb when you try to press down on it. But, what can really be done? Things get tossed around in transit. However, if it was an Amaray case, there should be noone to blame but those who packaged it.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
I worked at a Suncoast over this past summer and was overjoyed when I learned that we had gotten in a Criterion Silence of the Lambs. This was some freak chance that it came in because Suncoast doesn't even carry out of print titles.
Excited, I bought the disc without thinking twice. On my way home, I feel somethign rattling around in the box. I get home, open it, and sure enough... a rattler. The disc was pretty well damaged, too. Seemed like it had been "rattling" for quite awhile. I ended up returning it. I was pretty dissapointed.
------------------
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I get them fairly often, almost always discs shipped in padded envelopes. The very last disc I received was a rattler, from Digital Eyes.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
I keep a small supply of Alphas for the very rare rattler I get mail order. I have only ever received one "terminal rattler" -- that is a disk that was damaged beyond playing.
I never buy a disk in a store without giving it a little shake. Besides, I like the looks "normal" people give when they see some nutjob shaking a disk like a piece of produce.
With practice you can pick out the distinct sound of a piece of broken spindle, otherwise you can't tell the difference between a disk and the rest of the promotional crap floating around in the case.

I just received two "rattlers" last week. DVDPlanet.com had no problems exchanging them for unscratched ones and will pick up the shipping costs on the way back.
You would think mail order packers would give the DVD box a quick shake before they pack it to see if the DVD is loose inside? Maybe they are popping off in transit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks