What's new

Discs Giving 4K/UHD Delivery A Real Shot In The Arm (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike,

If you're going to go 4K/UHD in the near future then I would buy the 4K/UHD set if it doesn't have Blu-ray discs in it and have your Oppo 203 convert your 4K/UHD discs to 1080p until you finally decided to upgrade your display.
The Planet Earth II 4K/UHD release is now selling on Amazon for $39.99 just $5.00 more than the BD release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like they're back to matching BBY for folks with RZ points or who might consider a store pickup

Still having terrible trouble trying to determine if this is just the 4K only release (which I suspect) or if it includes the BD's as well.
I thought I was pretty clear it was only 2 discs until one of the first reviews said it included both. That review did seem to confirm it was
2160/24 in all markets

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...lu-ray-review-animal-attraction/#1b805cb41b67

The review/article did say 4 discs, but the Amazon pic in the middle showed 2 discs so many figured he was reviewing the UK set. When questioned about it on his FB page he implied that both the US and UK sets with included both formats. I still don't know if there is any confirmation of it from Amazon or BBC b/c everything for the last couple weeks has pointed to the US having separate releases.

I went ahead and ordered the UK set for $34 (shipped yesterday) since I also want the Diaries which are only on the BD's and the ability to play on non4K players. I figured since I'm 50HZ capable that $35 was better than $40 or $75 however the US sets come out, plus I don't have to worry about the Bluray format conversion.

There's also still plenty of confusion over whether there was any chance at this being a HFR (50fps) disc, but I can't find any technical information on whether the cameras used/original raw footage was captured in a way to allow that or if this was produced at BBC specifically to be a max 25fps.

2nd review with a bit less detail
http://www.whathifi.com/features/planet-earth-ii-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and ordered the UK set for $34 (shipped yesterday) since I also want the Diaries which are only on the BD's and the ability to play on non4K players.

I also ordered the UK set, David. But mine hasn't shipped and says I should receive it sometime between March 21 - 25.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched Jason Bourne over the weekend. This was the first Universal UHD disc I've watched. I have always been annoyed by the way Universal authored their BD titles -- they take forever to load, you see the Universal logo at least three times before the movie loads, and when their screen saver is engaged if you pause the movie for a few minutes you have to press the select/enter button to resume play -- not the play button like everyone else uses (and which makes much more sense).

Well, I was happy to see they have at least made their UHD discs load faster and have eliminated a couple of their logos before getting to the actual film. However, they still use that same stupid method for exiting the screen saver. :angry:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I do like most of the UHD discs forgo stupid trailers etc, and take you right to the menu.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What did you think of the PQ on the Jason Bourne disc?

I thought it looked very good. The night scene shots of the city landscapes showed off the benefits of HDR, IMO. And most importantly, I actually liked the movie -- thought it was better than The Bourne Ultimatum with its excessive shaky camera and quick cuts technique. FYI, I never saw the Bourne film without Matt Damon -- I think it was called The Bourne Legacy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
We watched Jason Bourne over the weekend. This was the first Universal UHD disc I've watched. I have always been annoyed by the way Universal authored their BD titles -- they take forever to load, you see the Universal logo at least three times before the movie loads, and when their screen saver is engaged if you pause the movie for a few minutes you have to press the select/enter button to resume play -- not the play button like everyone else uses (and which makes much more sense).

Well, I was happy to see they have at least made their UHD discs load faster and have eliminated a couple of their logos before getting to the actual film. However, they still use that same stupid method for exiting the screen saver. :angry:
That one of the top Home Video studios even bother with screen savers is a major head scratcher to me, and the loading times for Universal Blu-rays are ridiculous! When playing them on my PC, I'd use VLC Player which is excellent at cutting through the crap, except for the even more ridiculous key requirements for playing any physical media beyond DVD level! This leaves me the 2 choices of the free, but glitchy Leawo Player, or the bloated ad riddled Cyberlink PowerDVD that was included with my Pioneer Blu-ray Burner! I refuse to pay for any additional software or a key for my existing software, especially considering these tend to be subscription based, rather than an easy, one time payment. What a racket - UGH!

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I find the stupid, unnecessary inconvenience that is sometimes associated with playing Blu-ray discs, especially on PC's an extreme annoyance! At least UHD appears to be taking a step in the right direction, regarding this!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This leaves me the 2 choices of the free, but glitchy Leawo Player, or the bloated ad riddled Cyberlink PowerDVD that was included with my Pioneer Blu-ray Burner! I refuse to pay for any additional software or a key for my existing software, especially considering these tend to be subscription based, rather than an easy, one time payment. What a racket - UGH!
I have PowerDVD 16 Ultra. It powers my home theater. It's not ad-riddled. It's not a subscription. It's on sale right now, ahead of version 17 coming out, for about $45.

If you watch DVDs and blu-rays routinely on your PC, you owe it to yourself to buy the actual PDVD Ultra.
(if you're unsure, the demo is almost completely full featured -- no 3D playback -- and gives you a month to see how it behaves.)

:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A new article about Dolby's New Dynamic for HDR with a direct quote from one of HTF's owners:

Dolby Vision has impressed consumer influencers as well.

“The great thing about Dolby Vision is it’s built to not only take advantage of the best today's consumer technology has to offer, but the best we will be able get in the years to come,” said Adam Gregorich, co-owner/editor at enthusiast site Home Theater Forum. “I feel strongly enough about the benefits over HDR10 that Dolby Vision support was a requirement for my 4K hardware purchases this past year.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/hi...VYnRqemVxU0NRRCtIQmc3Nk8zNldyZ0NRME8rTnI0In0=

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Good to see that physical media still has a strong place in the market, in the form of 4K UHD Bluray

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I watched Starship Troopers last night. I think it's the best videodisc I've ever played, both visually and audio wise. Sony has outdone itself with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks