What's new

Discs Giving 4K/UHD Delivery A Real Shot In The Arm (1 Viewer)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Despite the attention given to streaming services as a delivery channel for 4K/Ultra HD content, physical media in the form of Ultra HD Blu-ray came in to 2017 on a high note, with multiple new product introductions, additional titles and a boost from the increasing availability of HDR- and Dolby Atmos-enabled titles.

According to figures provided by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), 2016 ended with 110 titles available and nearly 20 million software units sold in the U.S. An additional 250 Ultra HD Blu-ray titles are set to be released in 2017 from a list of studios that includes Sony, Warner, Fox, Lionsgate and Universal.

http://www.twice.com/news/blu-raydvd/discs-giving-4kuhd-delivery-real-shot-arm/64236

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It just smells like desperate propaganda to me. The number of "4K" titles in the local Best Buy has hardly grown. It is the same 30 or 35 overpriced titles week after week. Stocking of new releases is barely a trickle. Regardless of their supposed numbers, this is just looking more and more like a repeat of the debut of overpriced 3D releases, with one exception; the "4K" releases are even more marginal in quality (as movies) than the 3D wave was.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe so, but my library of these 4K/UHD release has greatly increased to over 30 now. I just bought a couple of more and will probably buy such releases over their Blu-ray counterpart of the same title going forward.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Maybe so, but my library of these 4K/UHD release has greatly increased to over 30 now. I just bought a couple of more and will probably buy such releases over their Blu-ray counterpart of the same title going forward.

Yes but it will never move beyond niche because it's geared toward a certain crowd that gravitate to blockbusters and current films. Classic film fans and the catalog crowd are shut out and as Robert Harris has said 4K UHD won't do much for films like All About Eve or Jules And Jim so it's never gonna happen.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Here are the weekly disc sales since mid-September. You be the judge how much of a shot in the arm they seem to have gotten...

-19%
-7%
-28%
-12%
-14%
-35%
-30%
-28%
-25%
-14%
-4%
-4%
-17%
-18%
+1.6%
-23%
-24%
-31%
-26%

(weekly sales compared to the same week the previous year)

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Meh, same ol negative nancy when 3D was launching. Ill ride this wave just like I did the 3D wave, and get a ton of enjoyment out of new flicks every year, everyone else can sit around and grumble. SSDD.

I mean who gives a crap it won't involve some catalog titles? Has nothing to do with enjoying it, there are NEW movies released every month, sheesh. People act like if you get a UHD player and display, and start buying UHD titles, you all of a sudden can't watch one of your criterion flicks if you want.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Here are the weekly disc sales since mid-September. You be the judge how much of a shot in the arm they seem to have gotten...

-19%
-7%
-28%
-12%
-14%
-35%
-30%
-28%
-25%
-14%
-4%
-4%
-17%
-18%
+1.6%
-23%
-24%
-31%
-26%

Without some kind of context these numbers are meaningless.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I mean who gives a crap it won't involve some catalog titles? Has nothing to do with enjoying it, there are NEW movies released every month, sheesh. People act like if you get a UHD player and display, and start buying UHD titles, you all of a sudden can't watch one of your criterion flicks if you want.

What's the point of upgrading to 4K UHD if all you're being offered are the current Dwayne Johnson action flick or the new Marvel comics "masterpiece"? Yes, you can oooh and ahhh over the stunning clarity but it's still a piece of junk! Will new movies like Elle, 20th Century Women, The Salesman, Denial, Fences (which takes place entirely in a house and backyard), Manchester By The Sea or Loving be improved by the 4K UHD experience? These are character driven pieces with the focus on the writing and acting and no car chases, bombs exploding or super heroes saving the world.

Let's be real. Those aren't the kind of movies the UHD crowd are interested in.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
What's the point of upgrading to 4K UHD if all you're being offered are the current Dwayne Johnson action flick or the new Marvel comics "masterpiece"? Yes, you can oooh and ahhh over the stunning clarity but it's still a piece of junk! Will new movies like Elle, 20th Century Women, The Salesman, Denial, Fences (which takes place entirely in a house and backyard), Manchester By The Sea or Loving be improved by the 4K UHD experience? These are character driven pieces with the focus on the writing and acting and no car chases, bombs exploding or super heroes saving the world.

Agreed! What's the point in upgrading if Skatetown USA (1979) doesn't get a UHD Blu release!!

PAGH!![emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

[emoji12][emoji38][emoji12][emoji38][emoji12][emoji38][emoji12][emoji38]

The above of course is total bull..sheets! Just got my first look at a OLED display (LG I believe) and my holy upgrade, Vizio 75 P-series at a Best (Worst) Buy.

2018, come quickly.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

4K UHD Blu-ray is still a young format. Title selection for DVD and 1080p Blu-ray when they rolled out wasn't any different. And yet so far we've already seen or will soon see 4K UHD titles like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Sicario, Labyrinth, Life of Pi, Arrival, The Revenant, Sully, Hidden Figures, Wild, Goodfellas, Argo, The Town, The Girl on the Train, and The Birth of a Nation. It's really not all 4K gloom and doom if you don't like stuff blowin' up real good.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure that new movies such as Manchester By The Sea are quite likely to see 4K releases, regardless of whether there is any noticeable difference in PQ. 4K on smaller TV screens is a wash, but I would expect the resolution increase of 4K to be more noticeable on front projection systems with screen sizes over a 100".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When UHD+Blu prices are $5 more expensive than the Blu-ray only, I buy the blu-ray only. And so far, the UHD haven't been priced to move. I see how movie prices plummet and it doesn't make sense to pay a $10 premium today to hopefully enjoy it five years. Not when I can wait five years and get the remastered edition for $15 cheaper than it is today.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm pretty sure that new movies such as Manchester By The Sea are quite likely to see 4K releases, regardless of whether there is any noticeable difference in PQ.

Then what are we to make of the fact that Manchester by the Sea is coming out in a few weeks and they chose not to do a 4K release?

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
It just smells like desperate propaganda to me. The number of "4K" titles in the local Best Buy has hardly grown. It is the same 30 or 35 overpriced titles week after week. Stocking of new releases is barely a trickle. Regardless of their supposed numbers, this is just looking more and more like a repeat of the debut of overpriced 3D releases, with one exception; the "4K" releases are even more marginal in quality (as movies) than the 3D wave was.

Hardly anything has grown at Best Buy. Most sales these days are online. I overheard someone at Fry's telling someone they cannot compete with Amazon and other online retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks