1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Discrete/Matrix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill O'Brien, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Bill O'Brien

Bill O'Brien Auditioning

Hey everybody,
    I've ben reading quite a few of the posts lately regarding speakers and amplifier specs. Most notably, the Outlaw 950's recent addition of the Dolby Digital EX has spurred a lot of convseration regarding Dolby standards.
    My question is: What is the difference between "Matrix" and "Discrete" formats?
    I'm interested in technical details... so spare nothing. [​IMG]
    Cheers!
    Bill
    [Edited last by Bill O'Brien on November 07, 2001 at 09:46 PM]

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

With 6.1 discrete there are 7 separate audio tracks recorded onto the disc. 6 for the main speakers and one for the subwoofer.
    With 6.1 matrix there are only 6 audio tracks recorded onto the disc. 5 for the main speakers and one for the subwoofer. The information intended for the surround center channel is encoded into the surround right and surround left tracks. When you play the disc, this information is then decoded and sent to the surround center speaker. This is exactly the same thing that happens when an old Dolby Pro Logic processor decodes a front center channel from the front right and front left tracks. But the decoding process is not perfect, so the channel separation is not as good as having all discrete channels.

3. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS ES are all "5.1" sound formats just like plain old DD and DTS. The "E" in these standards are for "extended" which references the matrixed rear-center channel. The only true "6.1" format is DTS-ES Descrete.
    http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml