Discovery on Direct TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hopkinson, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Joe Hopkinson

Joe Hopkinson Auditioning

I was just at Circut City, and they are dealers for Direct TV and they showed me The Discovery Channel on HDTV and it was great. I watch that show alot.

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    John,
    The Discovery channel isn't broadcast in HD yet on Direct TV....
    Is it possible you were watching HD Net?? They do a lot of nature shows.
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: darth23@optonline.net

3. Joe Hopkinson

Joe Hopkinson Auditioning

The store thought I was buying a new HDTV, and they specifically told me that Discovery was broadcast in HD! I am mad! I bought my Hitachi 53" used, and I have Dish Network, but the fact is Circut City lied to me! The store in Niles Oh told me the two HD Channels were HBO and Discovery. The Niles store # is (330) 505-0003, call them and see if they tell you the same thing? I think they tried to sell me and I walked out!

4. Cortney J Beard

Hey Joe, mistakes happen, especially when it comes to new stuff like this, settle down a little, you would not believe all the misinformation floating around and most of it comes from the company trainers(as in Directv, Hitachi, Harmon Kardon, etc.) I know about new stuff before any of my reps hear of it and most of the time it is their own product. Don't blame the store, it was probably Directv trainers that told them this.
    By the way, for Directv the two channels available in HD is HBO and HDNet(199). Discovery will be one of the next to do HD as well as TLC and Showtime.
    The HD feed you were watching was the Demo disc that we run in our HD emulator. I will tell you this much, your HD feed at home will look much better.
    If you have any questions you can e mail me.
    Cort

5. John Johnson

John Johnson Agent

Yeah, there's still plenty of good stuff on. If you're into the Discovery channel most PBS stations have a pretty good demo channel running (except when they multicast IDENTICAL STUFF - Damn you WTVS!)
    And CC isn't the only one - I was doing some undercover work at Best Buy the other day and the sales droid told me "Oh, yeah, every network is broadcasting in HD". Had to bite my lip...

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

FYI, they are probobally not broadcasting identical channels. On a lot of receivers is a 2nd channel is known to be present, but it not broadcasting, it will simply tune in the .1 channel on the .2 you're watching without telling you. I found it kind of strange/silly when I saw this happening too.
    Of course, I suppose they really could be broadcasting it twice, but I bet it's the above scenario.

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I would speak to the store manager and tell him what the employee told you.... To be honest with you, most of these big chain stores have tons of misinformed salesman!!!! The problem is they don't pay well, and rarely find quality help for selling electronics.
    What the TV stations like PBS do is, if they normally have one single high def station, and there not broadcasting HD at that time, they split the channel into 4. They give you four channles of standard non high def...
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: darth23@optonline.net