Discovery Atlas HD series coming soon to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by David_Rivshin, Oct 9, 2006.

1. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dec 13, 2001
    I noticed an advertisement while watching of Atlas HD: Italy saying that it will be available on DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray. A quick check of shows the following release dates:
    China: DVD available now HD-DVD/BRD estimated 10/25
    Italy: DVD estimated 10/30 HD-DVD/BRD estimated 11/08
    Brazil: DVD estimated 11/08 HD-DVD/BRD estimated 11/20
    Australia: DVD estimated 11/15 HD-DVD/BRD estimated 12/01

The price in each case is $20 for the DVD, and $25 for the HD version. There will be a 4-disc box-set available when the last disc is released, but there is no discount on it over buying the individual discs. There is no mention of any bonus material.

Personally I think the price is too high for what you get, but that's true of much of Discovery's material.

It looks like the first TV-on-HD-disc will be here soon afterall.

-- Dave
  2. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Jun 12, 1999
    I just saw a couple of Discovery Atlas HD yesterday, and even though I like the documentary over Argentina (I love Buenos Aires even though I am not Argentino), I loved the most Brazil. It was really so colorful and its Carnival (the greatest in the world) reminds me of those beautiful Carnivals which I enjoyed in Havana back when I was a kid.

I wish I could go to see one of those parades one day, but I do think it will be dangerous to roam around the streets during Carnival. I may buy the Brazil HD-DVD (I am buying the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive next month), and later the Argentina. I just wonder what kind of resolution I will get playing the HD-DVD add-on thru components. My HD TV is an old one already which only takes components.
  3. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

May 1, 2004
    I look forward to the Italy disc, as I lived there for 6 months when I was abroad as a college student.

Hopefully there will be some nice footage of Florence and surrounding cities.
  4. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

Sep 3, 1999
    I just watched the HD Atlas of Italy on Discovery HD and it was very good. I've ordered the HD-DVD. It looked amazing on cable; I can only guess how good it'll look on disc. It basically follows the story of 6 individuals in Sienna, Rome, Venice, Sicily, Milan and a northern Alpine area. Sorry, but I don't think there was any major footage of Florence to speak of. I've been to the country 4 times and love it there; it made me "homesick"!
  5. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Apr 9, 2000
    Chris S
    I caught the China episode a few weeks back, some really good stuff. When I heard about the HD disc releases I decided to wait until they're released before catching the other episodes. I don't have Discovery HD so I can only imagine how great the cinematography is going to look. Can't wait!