What's new

Discovered Netflix - I think I'm pretty much done buying DVDs (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I'll thank you NOW! ;)

They pass the Farscape test (they have almost every disc... which is better than I can say for ANY of the B&M retailers out there), as well as the Star Trek sets.

They only do a 2 week free trial... Now, the question is - will the FRIENDSFREE25 code (for 1 free month) listed above work on this website? :) I guess we'll just have to find out.

Moe.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm trying out the Blockbuster online rental now and it's working well. I've got a lot of DVDs in my collection that I'll probably never watch again so I decided to cut way back on my purchases.

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also trying out Blockbuster online via they're 1 month free rental period (see Post #14). According to the site, the regular monthly fee for 3 DVDs out at a time is $17.99, compared to Netflix's $21.99. I'll keep out all posted on how it is, but so far its working pretty good. The turn around is about the same for Netflix (one day to get to me and two for returns). This is good considering that BB's distribution center is in Minneapolis and Netflix is Chicago (where I'm at).

acg

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Thanks everyone! I signed up tonight... I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully our first movie will be here by Saturday to watch Sat. night.

I appreciate everyone's candor. I'm gonna try it, even though I have a feeling I still will be purchasing dvd's from time to time, but maybe not as much.

:emoji_thumbsup:

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Good to hear you didn't give it up! You'd have to pry my B5 seaons out of my cold dead hands.

Personally I prefer www.greencine.com - the place to go if you like indies, classics, anime, foreign films, etc. Turnaround from CA isn't as good, but the selection is worth it to us non-mainstream movie watchers.

Of course, my greencine account has been on hold for a few months due to lack of time to watch anything. But I'll start it back up again, soon.

I really don't buy a lot of DVDs. I've got about 50-60 movies, and about 100 discs of anime series, all 5 seasons of B5, and like 2 other TVonDVD sets. I haven't bought anything in a while. Although Kill Bill vol 2 and the B5 movie set are in the "to buy" list.

My wife is the DVD addict. :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

If you have a local video store, wouldn't renting be even cheaper?
And netflix does have a 2 DVDs/month membership, but it doesn't allow you to have more than 4 total/mo.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I had no idea. Thanks, Mike, for bringing that to my attention. That's something I'll definitely look into.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I signed up Thursday Night... They sent the movies Friday, we got them Saturday. Watched em' Sat. night... I'm impressed.

Thumbs up!!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

I've been a member a month now, Michael, and I remain impressed.

I'll keep you posted.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks