What's new

Discontinued Fox titles (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's the point of doing this? Market studies say EVERYONE like extras (or don't care). That should be the one easy decision. Especially when you've paid to make the special materials already. The production cost of a two disc set can't be all that much more, can it?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
"I saw ABYSS 2 disc down at a local Virgin Megastore today, Should I snag it? Are those tough to find? I already have mine."

They're still generally available at Best Buy B&Ms. They recently ran a $14.99 sale on the two disc version but their price is now back to the $22 range. Knowing Virgin it's probably much more there, so I'd hold off and keep looking.

Han

Second Unit
I'm sure it's been asked before, but since this thread is more up to date...

Is there any rumblings at all that there'll be an anamorphic version of The Abyss: SE?

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
This move by the studios makes absolutely no sense.

A few months ago, studios were complaining that it cost too much to produce extras-- now they're taking the extras away so they are no longer making money on them!

It cannot cost that much money to produce the 2nd disc when the material already exists-- it's only the duplication cost and that can't be too significant at this point.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Don't forget to snag ET DVD!!

Btw, does that mean that Die Hard 5-stars is going 1 discish too?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Adam Lenhart wrote:

Do they fully own the rights to all those "extras", or are royalties required to be paid to third parties? If the latter and the majority of the DVD-consuming public is indifferent to the extras (except paying more for them, that is), well, . . . .

Greg Br

Second Unit
Patton 2 disk, is that the fox war classics? can someone link me to the disk info, going to see if I can find this disk!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
No, the two-discer came before the singe disc, which is the War Classics one. I searched for it on www.dvdpricesearch.com and it was readily available for as little as around fifteen bucks! Definitely snatch this one up while you've still got the chance.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I had to look everywhere for the two-discer around last Christmas before I finally found it at www.dvdboxoffice.com for around $21.
A lot of the sites that were listed as having it actually had a picture up of the two-disc packaging, but were actually selling the new Fox War Classics single-disc version (which are all right around the $13-15 range).
Hope you guys are getting the two-discer. . .
-mwb-

Greg Br

Second Unit
Matt,

I hope so as well, the details listed the Goldsmith score, if its not I gues I am hosed on the SE.

James T

Screenwriter
I think companies are putting out single discs because it will cost the consumer less money to buy, which probably means that they'll sell more copies. An example can be with Fight Club. Here in Canada you'll be lucky to find it under $30. The average price I've seen is about $35. With the new single disc, it'll only cost about $17. With that price, people will just buy it not caring about any features.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Sigh. The studios are also probably assuming that the people who who do care about extras will get scared into buying special edition releases as they're released in the future, for fear of missing out... I guess they figure the limited availability could be the deciding factor for many when considering whether or not to purchase a title that they'd otherwise be "on the fence" about.

I can speak from experience on this one; I saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time a couple of months ago and really liked it, but was turned off by the high price tag. Since hearing a couple weeks ago that the special edition 2-disc set was getting the ax, I finally went ahead and ordered it last Friday.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Anybody know when the Fight Club 2 disc set is getting slimmed down?
I already got it, but a friend of mine doesn't and he's planning on getting it soon.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Also as I have understood it From hell and Burton's Planet of the apes will also be discontinued in it's two disc special edition and be replaced with a one disc edition.
It has already happened. Best Buy has a huge stock of the one-disc version with only a few two-disc sets left. And like Cast Away, the packaging is nearly identical, so you have to look closely to make sure which is which.

-Lyle J.P.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know when the Fight Club 2 disc set is getting slimmed down?
I already got it, but a friend of mine doesn't and he's planning on getting it soon.
Tell him to try Wal-Mart. I just saw it there for $14.44!

I have a LOT of new things to pick up this Tuesday, so I held off, but I hid a copy so I can nab it next weekend when I get a check. It's one of the few "must-have" titles everyone talks about around here that I haven't grabbed yet, so for that price and it's soon-to-be scarcity, I'll surely grab it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks