Discontinued Fox titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, everyone! Let's start a list of discontinued Fox titles. I'm sure there are some that I'd like to purchase that I don't know are being pulled, and some of you are probably in the same position. I've heard that the following are being pulled or converted to pan-and-scan:

Fight Club
    Sound of Music
    Cast Away
    Independence Day
    The Abyss
    Big

Everyone post some others, so we can all get those we want while we can. Thanks for participating!

Rob

2. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

They are gonna release a new Independence Day so I won't bother buying the old one.
    You forgot Final Fantasy

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Final Fantasy is a Columbia release, which is getting the single disc treatment along with LOA and CE3K. Might have to pick up a back-up copy of Fight Club, just in case.[​IMG]

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I haven't been keeping a close eye on this news, but I haven't heard that "Big" is being discontinued. Does Fox have any particular plans for this title?

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

The only thing I know about what Fox is doing is that they are cancelling there 2 disc special editions that are currently in release, and are releasing the single disc version of those movies (they will still have the widescreen version as well, only a single disc).
    Haven't heard a word on Big though.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

None of them are being "converted" to P&S. A single disc widescreen version will remain available

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Some titles are being reissued with both widescreen and pan and scan on the same disc.

8. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Two-disc Patton and The Committments are pretty much gone now. . .

-mwb-

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I saw ABYSS 2 disc down at a local Virgin Megastore today, Should I snag it? Are those tough to find? I already have mine.

10. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

Big Trouble in Little China is being replaced by a one-disc version in August along with Fight Club and The Sound of Music. Also, The Rocky Horror Picture Show is being placed on mortorium in November. The Abyss, Cast Away, and Independance Day two-disc sets are out-of-print already, and have been replaced by the movie only versions.

11. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Andrew,

Are you sure Final Fantasy is going to be changed to a single disc edition? Also, (you may think I'm stupid, but you won't be the first, and you sure as hell won't be the last) what are LOA and CE3K? Thanks to everyone for posting!

Rob

P.S. I read somewhere that the widescreen version of Big would be going out of print to be replaced by a P&S version. This may be just a rumor, though. Thanks again!

12. Stephen Fagan

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Robert;

The two-DVD sets of "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" — all Columbia-Tristar discs — are indeed going out of print to be replaced with single-disc versions.

14. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

"Big" is out in OAR? I never noticed that. Is the current edition worth looking for?

15. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

How are they going to put LoA on a single disc? The movie itself takes up more than one DVD-9. I suppose they could use a DVD-14 or 18, but are those really cheaper to make?

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I would say that the Patton 2-disc special edition is the most difficult one to find right now.
    If you don't already own it, I strongly recommend that you pick it up. Disc 2 has a great documentary and Jerry Goldsmith's isolated score.

17. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

So Fox is making a better version of Independence Day, or is that just speculation?

18. Stephen Fagan

Fox discontinued the two-disc Five Star Series of Independence Day and replaced it with a one-disc release, which is the same as the first disc of the Five Star release. If you can find the two-disc Independence Day (Best Buy had it, along with the other two-disc Out-of-Print DVDs (Cast Away and The Abyss) advertised a few weeks ago) it is the better DVD.

19. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Also as I have understood it From hell and Burton's Planet of the apes will also be discontinued in it's two disc special edition and be replaced with a one disc edition.
    I recently ordered Rocky horror picture show because of this, but I'm still more on the fence regarding From hell and Planet.. the only reason I got interested is because it will go out of print, which is not really a good reason to buy it.. in addition it really irks me that I reacted just as they wanted me to react [​IMG]

20. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The Commitments was a full screen release. Any chance they will be re-releasing this movie in OAR?