What's new

Discoloration w/Sony KV-36HS510 (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Previously I posted a thread regarding discoloration at the top of the screen on all channels of our Sony KV-36HS510 Television.

Upon contacting Infinity we discovered the magnetic interference was caused by our "shielded" Infinity Alpha 37c Center Channel. Being familiar with the problem Infinity provided a retro-fit shielding kit for the 37c at no cost. This was great customer service by Infinity.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, Louis, the damage has been done to your WEGA. Are you still noticing a chroma distortion? If so, a better "fix" by Infinity, assuming the company has falsely claimed that the center-channel speaker is magnetically shielded, would be to reimburse you toward the cost of a new picture tube (or entire set).

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Mr. Briggs,

Help me better understand about the effects of chroma distoration. Is there possible permanent damage or weaking of the Sony picture tube due to the chroma distoration?

Regards,
Louis Patrick

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If there is no chroma distortion presently, then you fixed the problem just in time. But bear in mind for future reference that had you exposed the WEGA to this magnetic field for much longer, then the damage would have been permanent. Once you start seeing a greenish or blue-ish tint in one of the corners of the screen, chances are it's there for good.

I ruined two perfectly good Sony sets this way back in the 1980s and early '90s -- by placing the sets too close, in the first case, to a Dahlquist DQ-1W "subwoofer" and, in the second instance, too close to a second-generation DCM Time Window II speaker system. In the days before home theater, speakers always were unshielded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks