What's new

Discoloration on Panny TV (1 Viewer)

Dennis

Second Unit
I own a 27" Panasonic analog TV, model # escapes me, purchased a year ago. As I was making an adjustment to the shelf where I keep the set, I put it on the floor, when I put it back and turned it on, the upper left hand corner of the screen was discolored, it's noticeable when the screen is blue because the "patch" appears pink/red. It was large at first but it got smaller by the hour and it eventually stopped shrinking. While it's small, it's not too small that you don't notice it. Is there some way of correcting this without having to pay a repairman? I didn't purchase an extended warranty because the set didn't cost too much.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When you moved the TV, did it pass near a large speaker system?

A speaker magnet can mess up the picture tube.

After a week of normal use (about ten turn ons and turn offs separated by about an hour each) the built in de-gausser of a normal direct view TV should correct any such discoloration as best as possible.

If the TV was jolted or jarred, certain parts inside including tiny magnets glued on the picture tube for calibration can get out of adjustment resulting in the problem too (color purity problems). An expert technician may be able to fix this and/or do a professional degaussing.

Beyond that, it is possible for permanent damage to occur.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Dennis

Second Unit
Thank you Allan. It is quite possible both situations you mentioned occured while moving the set. I will inquire about the technician. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks