What's new

Disc rot replacements? (1 Viewer)

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
I have just witnessed my first case of disc rot after 6 years of collecting. O Brother Where Art Thou just started getting goofy with pixilization on my Panasonic player. Has anybody tried to get a bad disc replaced by the distributor?...and if so, any contact info would be great. This is a Touchstone movie.

Thanks,
Jonathon

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Since it's a Touchstone movie, and Touchstone is owned by Disney, you shouldn't have any problems. My Serendipity DVD (along with every other one) had a mastering problem, and I had no problem in getting a replacement. The phone number for Buena Vista Home Entertainment Customer Relations is 1-800-477-2811.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator

where is this displayed on a commercial dvd/package? i know SOME dvd-r/rws are packaged with a lifetime warranty, but commercial releases?

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
ThomasC

Thank you for the phone number. I called and they are sending me a postage pre-paid mailer and report form to fill out so that they can check the disc and replace it. Very courteous CSR, we'll see how they are about the replacement, but so far, I'm impressed.

Jonathon

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The only DVDs Ive ever had trouble with are Universals Born On The Fourth Of July and MGMs The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

In both cases the DVDs freeze up on me at the beginning of a chapter.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had a very similar experience. Just this morning I sent back 2 Disney DVD's (Mulan and Show White disc 1) for replacement. I called their DVD hotline, selected "technical support" and was eventually passed off from the CS rep to a real tech, explained my issues, and they sent me a form to fill out along with a "postage due from addressee" label.

Both discs have scenes which pixellate and then freeze, and looking at the discs you can see obvious dimples or pock mark thingies underneath the top protective layer in certain spots. I don't know what the technical term is for this ("disc rot," "delamination" ..?) but overall I'm very pleased with how Disney has handled my situation, especially given that Mulan is on moratorium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks