Disc rot replacements?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JonathonSan, Oct 1, 2003.

1. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

I have just witnessed my first case of disc rot after 6 years of collecting. O Brother Where Art Thou just started getting goofy with pixilization on my Panasonic player. Has anybody tried to get a bad disc replaced by the distributor?...and if so, any contact info would be great. This is a Touchstone movie.

Thanks,
    Jonathon

2. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

DVDs have a lifetime warranty. It´s written on the label. So, I guess you CAN trade it.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Since it's a Touchstone movie, and Touchstone is owned by Disney, you shouldn't have any problems. My Serendipity DVD (along with every other one) had a mastering problem, and I had no problem in getting a replacement. The phone number for Buena Vista Home Entertainment Customer Relations is 1-800-477-2811.

4. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

Does Warner do this too? My Oceans 11 is acting up.

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Disney's stateside customer service reps are THA BOMB! Their Canadian counterparts... no comment.

6. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

where is this displayed on a commercial dvd/package? i know SOME dvd-r/rws are packaged with a lifetime warranty, but commercial releases?

7. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

8. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

ThomasC

Thank you for the phone number. I called and they are sending me a postage pre-paid mailer and report form to fill out so that they can check the disc and replace it. Very courteous CSR, we'll see how they are about the replacement, but so far, I'm impressed.

Jonathon

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The only DVDs Ive ever had trouble with are Universals Born On The Fourth Of July and MGMs The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

In both cases the DVDs freeze up on me at the beginning of a chapter.

10. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

I recently had a very similar experience. Just this morning I sent back 2 Disney DVD's (Mulan and Show White disc 1) for replacement. I called their DVD hotline, selected "technical support" and was eventually passed off from the CS rep to a real tech, explained my issues, and they sent me a form to fill out along with a "postage due from addressee" label.

Both discs have scenes which pixellate and then freeze, and looking at the discs you can see obvious dimples or pock mark thingies underneath the top protective layer in certain spots. I don't know what the technical term is for this ("disc rot," "delamination" ..?) but overall I'm very pleased with how Disney has handled my situation, especially given that Mulan is on moratorium.