Disc read problem on Xbox.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_c, May 6, 2002.

1. Richard_c

Richard_c Agent

I have an annoying problem, i can't get any further in Halo. As it starts loading the new level ( Two Betrayals ) the loading bar gets half way through, stops & go back a bit then says disc is dirty or damaged. The disc itself is blemish free & a faint gold colour, is this a disc problem or hardware ? i only have one other title, Rallisport Challenge which plays fine.

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

This same problem developed with my Xbox a few months after I got it. At first, the problem was confined to "Halo," and then it started showing up in a number of other titles. Also, my machine would crash if I paused a DVD and tried to restart it.

The bad news: I ended up sending my machine in for repair. The good news: It cost me nothing, and repair took less than five days -- from the time I first called customer service to the time my Xbox was returned to its place in the audio rack. No problems since. I did notice that my new DVD-ROM drive is much quieter than the old one.

I would suggest renting a copy of "Halo" and seeing if yo have the same problem with that disc. Also rent a few other games and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

You might as well send 'er in right away. The problem will only get worse. (it's a known problem)

-Dan

4. Richard_c

Richard_c Agent

Well, i ended up wiping the disc on my Hammers home football shirt & now its working, i hope it's not iffy as it will cost a fecking fortune to send to the big M.

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Richard, if you're willing to chance it, then good luck to you. If you're still under the 90 day warranty period, they will fix it for you free of charge. The problem is apparently a slightly out-of-focus laser from what I've heard & it may get better or worse. (your problem could be something else, but there are many people out there with the same exact problem)
    Check out this forum link at Team Xbox forums for a discussion on this problem.
    -Dan

6. Richard_c

Richard_c Agent

Bloody hell, think i'll sort it now & be safe.

Thanks for the link mate.

7. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

If sort means send, do that. I had the same problem, and it won't get better.