What's new

Disc problems with TV shows on DVD sets using Scanavo cases (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

accept it, there is a severe problem here. I'm sure we all are aware of fingerprint smudges...this is a totally different animal.

it actually looks like dried clear syrup dripped randomly on some of the DVD's! I had this with sealed AG box sets that I just opened! This is no joke!

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

of course it's related to the cases, at least that's what I believe. What makes you think differently?

On all my AG sets the damage is random, some discs are worse off than others, but not one is pristine. Same goes for my HGWT which is horrendous. Frankly I'm not going to lose sleep over you not believing me.:)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have tons of discs in Scanavo cases. Definitely, Season Two of Hogan's Heroes is the only one of what I have that looks like it might be "going bad". And Disc 5 of that set, which is NOT in a Scanavo case, is fine (or what passes for fine in TV on DVD land). The other Scanavo-housed discs in S2 have large blobs on them. This is the only use of Scanavo cases in the entire HH series, and the only bad discs. Yes, there appears to be some thin film on the "cloudy" case plastic.

Your call, is it the discs or cases...I'm going with the cases, assuming all the S2 HH discs were made by the same method. Whether it's a problem with a coating on the discs or on the case that's off, it doesn't matter, they react together. Changing to a different case, even another type of Scanavo one, should prevent it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's just hard to believe that EVERY disc of an entire series (about 40 discs) has been damaged by the cases. Besides Have Gun Will Travel, people have reported problems with individual discs here and there (The Brady Bunch and Hogan's Heroes come to mind) but you got unlucky enough to have faulty cases for every disc in the series?

It doesn't matter whether I believe you or not but I'd imagine that I'm not the only one that finds it hard to believe that you've had 40 discs go bad.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The part no. for the "bad" Scanavo cases appears to be 4S-SL. Does this correlate with other problem series' cases? This is the only number that differs on "good" 2-disc black Scanavo cases, for instance.

Wish I had more spare 2-disc slim cases to transfer to. The only ones I have are other Scanavo ones with broken hub(s)... :frowning:

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Does anyone have an opinion on how the complete Andy Griffith Show series DVD's will hold up in those cardboard digipacs that rest snuggly in the cardboard slipcases with no plastic hub? Will the paper cause another problem? Also anyone who owns the complete series please respond. I now have an opportunity to trade for a complete series set.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Jeff, my Brady Bunch DVDs still play for now. But will they still play a few years down the road? :frowning:

In the cause of slimmer packaging and outsourcing, the studios have been selling product that is not in optimal condition when new and while stored and removed for use. First the Digipak which requires disc bending to remove each DVD and in which manufacturing personnel have roughly scraped discs against spindles. And now the thinpak whose plastics react with the plastics of discs. I mourn the decline of the Amaray/Alpha case and the day when multi-disc sets were expected to be pristine as per purchase agreement. Now, it seems the buyer must be prepared to cope with some degree of compromised disc condition when the disc is new and as it is being stored.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Well I opened three of my Andy Griffith season sets, Hogans Heros, and checked Hawaii Five-0, and they were all pristine with a couple of small spots on one disc on Hogan's Season 2. It is hard to know what to think is going on. I would say that maybe it had to do with them being shrink wrapped and unopened so no air could get to them, but that theory does not hold water either. The only set that I've had that was all messed up with these oily smears was the first six discs of HGWT Season 3, and that was sealed as well. I also looked at some of the oldest sets that I own, and there was no damage or smears. I guess the only course of action for now is vigilance.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I don't doubt you're seeing what you say you see. It just seems to me that some posters (here and on other discussions) are claiming they now see this problem everywhere - including single disk cases, non-Scanavo cases, and I even read one case where someone claims it was on a disk in a digipack. At this point I would say there is a bit of overreaction and hysteria going on.

No doubt, some of the Paramount sets have an issue. Whether it's a function of their packaging or some manufacturing flaw, I can't say for sure. I don't think anyone can at this point. But let's not muddy the waters by wildly claiming that this is occurring on literally every disk that doesn't look 100% perfect out of the package.

Because, let me tell you, if you closely inspected every DVD you own, you would find smudges, scratches, flaws on the substrate, and swirling patterns on more than half of them when you open them. People seem to think these disks are manufactured flawlessly, handled and packaged in some kind of vacuumized clean-room environment, and should look pristine right out of the shrinkwrap. In fact, DVD's are more often than not packaged by hand in the third world country factories where most of them are produced these days.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
I decided not to trade for a complete AGS box set. Instead I'm going to store all the AGS DVD's in a 50 disc spindle. Just leave the cases on the shelf and move onto HGWT! I cleaned the discs up with 97% alcohol and it seemed to clean most of them well enough.

any idea what the future brings with those cardboard digipacs?

The future is dim...

This is a major pain in the ass...

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil

Actually I'd avoid spindles and only use them for very short term storage. Spindles tend to cause disc scratching (especially if there is silk screen printing on the top of the disc below it) We've done tests at work and found the 2 worse storage methods for keeping discs are spindles and those disc page binders due to the page turning putting slight tension on the disc, which add up in time (unless each page has a cardboard back, but again you run the risk of scratching each time you take the disc out.) DVD or CD jewel cases are still probably the best method for keeping discs for now.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
No doubt, some of the Paramount sets have an issue. Whether it's a function of their packaging or some manufacturing flaw, I can't say for sure. I don't think anyone can at this point. But let's not muddy the waters by wildly claiming that this is occurring on literally every disk that doesn't look 100% perfect out of the package.

Because, let me tell you, if you closely inspected every DVD you own, you would find smudges, scratches, flaws on the substrate, and swirling patterns on more than half of them when you open them. People seem to think these disks are manufactured flawlessly, handled and packaged in some kind of vacuumized clean-room environment, and should look pristine right out of the shrinkwrap. In fact, DVD's are more often than not packaged by hand in the third world country factories where most of them are produced these days.[/quote]

honestly I think you hit the nail on the head. Dvd blanks are rarely perfect and I agree I have got a lot dvds that look crappy but play fine. Also I think poor packaging (including over tight slip cases) and crushing too many dvd sets into shipping boxes is a cause of allot of damages to new dvd sets, I ve lost count on how main set Ive bought in the last two years were center spindles were damage or dvd's were rattling around loose in the case. And sadly I think a third factor is coming into play when majority of the DVD set are beginning produced in third world countries by under payed workers for lack of a better term sabotage. I think the the "oil like substance" that have been reported in this thread and thread of dvd sets with high defect rates(ie the disks dont just look bad the refuse to play regardless of efforts to clean) I thing if that oily substance was collected and test it turn out to be some sort of light machine oil used to lube the assemble line rollers. I think disgruntled workers are purposefully damaging the sets with substances that will damage the dvds, and honestly how else other than water moister could get into the dvd cases unless it was put on purpose? Ive had some cloud dvd due to water evaporation, but they were easy fixed with a alcohol cleaning. So looks were got a production problem here not a case or dvd blank issue and the studios need to adress they manufactor quality control issues.:frowning:

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I suspect much of the same thing, Bob. I'm not necessarily saying it is deliberate on the part of DVD factory workers (though in some cases, it could be), but it certainly could be a result of carelessness or poor QC in these factories.

I do know that many if not all of the problem, flawed, or damaged disks I've had over the years had the dreaded "Made in Mexico" sticker on the shrinkwrap. This includes the defective Universal DVD-18's, scratched up Star Trek sets, The Outer Limits Original Series season two sets, and now these suspect Paramount sets.

That seems like considerably more than mere coincidence to me.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
How many people even looked at the back of their DVDs before this topic came up? I know I didn't.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Now we're blaming factory workers in Mexico because dvds are F'd up ? They put a chemical that causes damage in the dvd package ? Are you being serious ? For what purpose ? To lose thier jobs that they more than likely can't afford to lose ? I just find it odd that for every Scanavo set that has a problem there seem to be several that don't. No one seems to be focused on that fact, However.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Then I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread. It has been quite clearly mentioned which Scanavo cases seem to be affected. It is only a VERY small portion of them, and limited to specific releases. And I'd bet, if people *would* focus a little more, the specific cases could be nailed down.

Yes, some people are over-reacting and seeing rot hiding under every DVD, but I'd bet they do the same for every situation. The head losers. Focus on the specifics, not the panic. It's frustrating for everybody.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

First off, most of us aren't talking "rot." We're talking about a residue building up on DVDs kept inside these oily cases. While you might want to think this is an internet myth like taxing emails for the post office and free trips to Disneyworld from Bill Gates Jr, I have gone through my collection and discovered this crap on several of my DVDs kept inside clear slimline cases. I've found the residue on discs from Scanavo cases and unmarked Sony boxes.

Maybe this isn't happening to every disc inside a Scanavo case, but there seems to be enough people on this forum that have found this effect for it to not be a completely isolated case. But if you want to swim in the waters of Amity, go ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks