Disc not working?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Has anyone had this problem with a DVD.

I got Saving Private Ryan about a month ago and I decided to watch it yesterday.

Got to about chapter 8 with no problems. I'm really into the movie then it skips or something. It's like if your watching Sat TV and bad weather come across and you start losing reception, the screen freezes and kind of pixilates (Is that a word?). Well this happened about 2 minutes into Chapter 8, but only for about 1 sec. Then it hapeened again, then again getting closer and closer than it just went black.

I went to scene selction and tried to go to Chapter 9, wasn't happening, then went to chapter 10, then 11, then 12. No luck than tried watching the movie at the begining of Chapter 8, no problem then tried skipping ahead to the next chapter, nope movie froze up again.

So I pull the disc out and look at it, I see nothing visually wrong with the surface.

So anybody ever have this problem before?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's how a defective disc typically behaves. The defect may not be visible to the naked eye. You should exchange it for another copy.

M.

3. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

yeah I'm exchanging it today.

It's my first defective disc, hope it doesn't start a trend.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The more they manufacture, the more defects slip through. I'm sure there's a statistical analysis somewhere. It's still a lot better than laser disc, though. I think I had to exchange something like 25% of my LDs to get copies that played acceptably.

M.