Disc Menu Blur

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamal, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Jamal

Jamal Auditioning

Hello there,

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I searched for it and couldn't find anything.

I get to the menu on the disc and the writing is clear for about 2 seconds then the picture changes and becomes blurry. This has happened on almost all of my DVD's. I tried changing my Still Mode from Automatic to Field to Frame, and nothing happened.

When I play the movie the picture is great but once I come back to the menu it's clear then becomes blurry.

My player is a Panasonic DVD-RV31 and the TV is a 20" Toshiba Flat, if this makes any difference?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Wierd. I would think this post belongs in one of the hardware threads but, I'll give it a whack anyway.

It sounds like your player is having trouble with still images.

It's probably a problem within the player unfortunately. You may want to check your connections, though anyway.

After I got my new TV I put in Monster's Inc for my first viewing and noticed the picture looked a little "blocky" in parts. I was just about to say "this is the worst transfer I've ever seen!?!? How can Pixar allow this!?!" when I found one of my component connections was a little loose. :b

3. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I have a very similar problem. The image is clear for about 2 seconds and then the resolution seems to drop by half (the images become real blocky).

I have a Tosh SD5109

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

This is somewhat noticeable for me on my Toshiba, but it depends on the DVD.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Seen this lots of times- the player hits a freeze flag (i.e. on a menu, or worse on a calibration disc like Video Essentials)- the the freeze frame looks like crap. Seems to come from the fact that the player is stopping on 1/2 of an interlaced frame and isn't doing a good job of creating a still frame.

Some players just seem to have a problem.

-Vince

6. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    This happens with my Toshiba SD-2200. But the weird thing is that it only happens with Columbia-TriStar titles like MIB and Spiderman. Viewing a still gallery, for example, is almost impossible because the images are too blurry.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Notice how the common denominator here seems to be Toshiba.

Vince, where might this thread work best? In A/V Sources or here?

8. Jamal

Jamal Auditioning

Now that I think about it, you're right, it only really happens on Columbia TriStar DVD's, well at least it is the most noticeable on Columbia... hmm..

Anyway, sorry if I started this in the wrong forum, new here and haven't really explored the rest of the site.

9. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I *think* Columbia/TriStar has been the culprit on discs that I've noticed it on, as well.

10. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

Columbia is indeed the primary culprit!

I've noticed this menu blur on Columbia titles for some time now. You get a crystal clear image for about a second and then it shifts to a blur.

But it's not always Columbia/Tristar. I watched Warners INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE the other night and it did the same thing when I clicked on chapter search.

Most discs seem to work fine which leaves me to think it's more of a software issue

11. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

I've been wanting to bring this up for years....

I have a Panasonic player and it only happens with Columbia titles. What are they doing different than other studios? I think this is a software issue.

12. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

It happens on my EAD theatervision P, which is built on a Panasonic player.