Disc-based media backup question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Carabimero, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr

In terms of older highly serialized shows, such as the original Dallas, Dynasty, etc ... I find these shows are not stuff that I would watch through frequently. Until I picked up the Dallas dvds, it never occurred to me to watch through this show again. (I use to watch it with various then-gfs back in the day, but it wasn't my first choice).

2. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    This may sound strange, but nowadays when I look for new music to listen to (mostly on youtube), I find I end up looking for modern duplicates or "clones" of music I use to listen to when I was a preteen/teenager.

Most of this stuff I find on youtube which I end up listening to over and over again, appear to be modern day teenagers or twentysomethings either doing covers or writing actual new music in the "style" of 70s or 80s pop/rock music.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Right. I get this.

When I'm at the gym, I've been listening to Pandora's Taylor Swift station which plays all sorts of current artists which give me 21st century production values on current day pop music which could be described as "covers or writing actual new music in the "style" of 70s or 80s pop/rock music."

This, in my "old man's mind" helps keep me current and entertains me with music that is unobjectionable to my 57-year old sensibilities. :laugh:

4. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I don't think DVD-R is a very good archival media; not because of its stability and lifespan, but because of the format itself. We've already seen the best blank manufacturer stop production (Taiyo Yuden), Now computers are being made without optical burners built into them. In ten years, it may be difficult to find a burner/player to read your discs.

I think if you want to make sure your data is readable, protected backed up hard drives (solid state if you can afford it) with USB connection is the best bet. Make sure you spin up your SATA drives every year or so, and migrate the data to new drives every once in a while. Also, use universal formats (TIFF, JPEG, MP3, WAV, MOV or M4V).

Carabimero likes this.
  5. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    This has been my approach for more than a decade and has worked well, as I have multiple drives in multiple locations.

6. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I operate a non-profit digital archive serving film makers and I've tried everything. We have almost 100TB of data in our archive, and managing it is a big job. But doing it right from the start saves a lot of work.

7. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Yes, organization is the key for me, and maintaining the discrete elements at the highest resolution or fidelity possible. I can always master to a lower quality as long as I have my best, higher quality elements secure.

8. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    This may sound really really dumb.

This past week I passed by some local computer stores, and ended up "impulse buying" three brand new LiteOn internal dvdr drives. (They were less than $20 a pop).

I gotta stop shopping at computer stores. :(

DaveF likes this.
  9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    What are you going to do with three drives? Store them and use them for backups?

10. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    Carabimero likes this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Yep, checking discs has been handy for me. I catch scratches and defects (and even unknowingly buying bootlegs) that would otherwise not be caught for months or years, depending on when I watch.

Carabimero and jcroy like this.
  12. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    My standard operating procedure is immediately checking every single newly purchased dvd/bluray disc on the computer, when I get home from shopping or picking up the mail. If there's any bad sectors due to semi-random manufacturing defects, then that disk goes back to the retailer for an exchange (or return).

On the other hand, this is also the main big reason I have "burned out" on this dvd/bluray collecting hobby. It is absolutely anxiety inducing and tedious going through tons of discs on the computer, waiting to see if there are any manufacturing defects. 99% of the time if feels like a "Pyrrhic victory".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I frankly don't understand the whole checking the disc thing in a special computer drive, particularly if you find it to be an anxiety producing activity. If it was fun, I'd say that was one thing, but I'm not sure I see the value in it as described here.

In all of my years of collecting optical discs, be them CDs, DVDs or Blu-rays, I can probably count on one hand the number of discs that were defective out of the box, out of thousands purchased. Last year, I discovered a disc contained within a larger box set had a defect that I hadn't discovered; the set had originally been produced by Fox. I emailed the Fox Connect support address that's included on the back of the artwork, and Fox sent me a mailing label to send in the old disc in exchange for a new one. Something similar happened with a Warner disc maybe a couple years ago, and Warner replaced the disc (I don't even think they made me send back the defective one).

I simply haven't run into many examples of a disc being defective, and when I have, the studios have offered replacements well after the initial purchase period. All of this makes me feel that I have no reason to worry.

I would probably be a little more vigilant about content I created where I held the master copies, or discs that were out of print and therefore irreplaceable, but for garden variety purchases, that kind of worry just isn't on my radar.

14. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    Most of my paranoia about bad sectors on optical discs, dates back to audio cds. This was long before I was ever into dvds and blurays.

Not quite the same thing, but over the years I have come across one too many audio cd discs which went bad. They either developed too many bad sectors or became completely unplayable.

It turned out these were audio cds released by small obscure indie record companies, which went out of business a long time ago. (Quite a few of these titles only had around 1000 or less copies made originally). There were no easy ways of finding another copy, other than bidding very high on ebay for the occasional copy which pops up once every few years.

15. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    My concern is not watching a DVD or BD set for a long time after purchase, then finding a bad disc and being unable to replace it due to the time elapsed. I have a bad season two disc from THE WIRE and since I almost always skip season two, didn't find out about it until it was too late for Amazon to honor a replacement.

16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Warner distributes HBO product - you should try emailing Warner about a replacement disc. If they'd replace my defective disc years after the original purchase, it seems worth a try to see if they'd do the same for you.

jcroy and Carabimero like this.
  17. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    Technically these computer dvdr drives are actually not "special" at all.

They are very generic bog standard on windows and macs machines, until recently. (Some recent apple machines don't come with a dvdr drive anymore).

IIRC, originally it was IBM's engineers whom eventually brokered a compromise deal on the dvd standard between the computer industry and entertainment companies back in the mid-1990s. They took the best features from competing proposals and consolidated them into the now generic dvd standard.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm seeing maybe 5% failure on blu-rays recently. A recurring problem are cheap cases and discs sliding around in shipment. Or, in the case of Zootopia 3D, two discs stacked on a spindle, and the top disc scratched presumably from spinning on top.

And then there's the bootleg Star Wars saga I bought inadvertently.

Because I have an HTPC, I can check discs. I dont specifically recommend it for normal people :)

jcroy likes this.
  19. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    I wouldn't recommend it either, unless one is extremely paranoid and have a lot of patience. ;)

Nowadays I simply don't have the patience anymore to check through large multidisc sets (such as complete tv series sets with many seasons).

20. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    (Going very far offtopic).

This was the primary reason why I abruptly stopped buying dvds/blurays this past June (2016). Collecting dvds/blurays and the associated extreme anxiety, no longer made it an enjoyable hobby for me.

For almost six months subsequently, I didn't buy any dvds/blurays. I ended up falling off the wagon recently, which I came to the realization the extreme anxiety was still there at full throttle.

I now know the only way around this problem for me, is (almost) complete abstinence.

The only upcoming title I'm willing to buy first day/week, is Star Wars Rogue One. (ie. Checking one or two new bluray discs per year, *might* be ok). Maybe a Dynasty complete series dvd set, if it is ever released this year.