Disaster strikes my Yamaha HTR-5280 Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jorge UF, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jorge UF

Jorge UF Stunt Coordinator

Well I've done it now...While watching TV in my bedroom I spilled some juice on my reciever. The HTR-5280 has some slots on the top to vent and I watched the juice rush into the slots like a river. The receiver was on at the time it happened, and about a second after the juice rushed into the slots it turned off. Now it won't come on. I am hoping that there is a simple fix. I have opened it up and dried it off as best as I could, but since it was so hot due to being on, it was pretty much dry. Can someone with some tech experience please help with what the fix could be. The bottom link has some pictures of all the guts.

Picture 1211 is a close up of where most of the juice spilled.
    Picture 1210 is a where the power cord connects to.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287912867

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

It will more than likely have multiple problems. Take it it and get an estimate for repair. It may not be worth the repair costs though. Hope it works out for you.

3. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Damn, mental note to self: Do not put cups on equipment.

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi, If you can remove the board assembly and wash with water to remove the juice, dry with hair dryer and let it stand for an a bit to ensure it is dry. There should be at least one fuse, if not more, these protect against short circuits.

Good luck.

Regards Tom

5. Jorge UF

Woo Hoo...sort of. Looks like time heals all. Today just for the hell of it, I tried turning it on again and walla. It's alive!!!. Its a little quirky though. It turned off again after about 5 minutes, but I was able to quickly turn it on again. Then for some reason it went into headphone mode, though no headphones were plugged in. Looks like if it doesn't recover I may just trash it and go for separates.

6. Mike__P

Mike__P Extra

Aha. Subconsciously this is what you were hoping for all along, and why you "accidentally" spilled the juice.[​IMG]

Same thing happened to me. The Pro Logic section of my Parasound 1000 AV pro/pre died on me a couple weeks ago, I poked my head back into the HT community and, my gosh, things have progressed in the last 9 years! I, like you, get to upgrade now, and neither of us have to feel guilty about it!

-- Mike

7. Jorge UF

Nooo don't ruin my innocence. I really liked my old yamaha without prologic 2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

That's too funny but might be the truth. I find that having the wife "break" a component easier to justify an upgrade [​IMG]

Hopefully she'll do something to the sub soon to upgrade to a 12" [​IMG] [​IMG]

JB

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

So far I haven't had anything die, but I'm fighting a losing battle: MICE! Those little furry B******S love to piss on the top of expensive gear. And their urine is very concentrated and caustic.

I'm starting to think that manufacturers put those vent holes on top as a part of planned disaster. I know heat is a major problem, but holes in the top, where every liquid has a chance to enter? Hello, GRAVITY!!

Why not holes on the bottom, sides and back, with a little computer fan to pull air through? They aren't that noisy.

10. Mike__P

Mike__P Extra

Pissing mice! Great insight and I've never seen it mentioned before. I'll bet that's a much bigger problem than generally recognized.

As mentioned above, I recently had the Pro Logic section of a 9 year old Parasound preprocessor die for no apparent reason. When I went back to check (entire system built into wall) I found lots of mouse home decorating residue (although no obvious "stains").

The Parasound was the highest component in the stack, just below the ventilation holes in the custom cabinetry. Mebbe coincidence, mebbe not......

Anyway, I am now rearranging the stack so that the cheapest component (a VCR) is on top. I guess we need a rodent section in all the HT FAQ's. [​IMG]

-- Mike

Edit: As an afterthought -- I just had a mental image. As I said, I have a line of circular (ventilation) holes in the wooden platform just above the left equipment stack, and I have found the nest of a mouse family nearby. I have this mental image of this mouse family leaving their little nest to go to their little "multi-holer" outdoor privy, then returning, releaved.

But then I have an active imagination.