Disassembled system cable for Denon S-301 / S-101?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Yon, Mar 3, 2006.

1. David Yon

David Yon Agent

Just bought the S-101 for the "Home Theater Lite" in our remodeled living room (the big system is in the basement). The system pretty much fit the bill for the space it was put in, but at the moment I'm stuck putting the sub inside a base cabinet in the wall unit that houses the TV. I'd rather have it in the back corner of the room, but there's a logistics problem...

The Denon uses one of those thick "system cables" to tie the head unit to the sub----which also seems to have the main smplifier for the L/R speakers, which is why the head unit can be so small. That wouldn't be so bad, but they chose to use a big honkin' DB-25 connector on each end. That probably saved them costs (since DB-25's are so ubiquitous), but is basically makes you SOL if you wanted to fish the cabling through walls.

So if I want to extend this cable, It looks like I'm pretty much stuck having to splice the cable so it can be fished from each end, and then mend it back together. I'm guessing that this is not a typical 25-conductor cable. It almost certainly has several line-level audio feeds in it (L/R/sub), which may be independently shielded. It also is the power source for the head unit, so there are likely different gauge cabling to meet different current requirements.

Has anyone taken this apart yet? I'd rather not be the first on my block to do the surgery!

2. David Yon

David Yon Agent

For reference, here's the space I'm dealing with:

[​IMG]

This picture was taken pre-S101, and before the 2.5" wiring pass-through hole was cut behind the TV and on the shelf above the TV (hence the ugly wiring in front).

So at the moment the S101 head unit is on the shelf above, and the sub is in the cabinet below. The sound ain't too bad for what I'm using this for, but I also would rather not be shaking up everything on the shelves on the occasional times the volume does get turned up.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I seriously anyone’s going to be inclined to cut one of these things open just for grins to see what is inside.

According to this link, Denon has longer cables available. That might solve your distance problem but not your wall-fishing problem. FYI, in-wall cabling is supposed to be in-wall rated, so you probably shouldn’t be fishing it anyway.

If a longer cable won’t do it for you, your best bet is probably to return the Denon and replace it with something that will work with your situation and requirements.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt