What's new

Disappointment with ColumbiaTristar (Young Adam) (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented Young Adam. This is another release from ColumbiaTristar with pretty bad quality. Once upon a time (read many many years ago) this Studio was the top DVD studio. Today I know of no worse studio.

Today ColumbiaTristar is probably the only major studio to omit English subtitles on many of their releases, including this one. This is such an important feature and I cannot understand why not adding it. Then not to release the theatrical version is even stranger. We only get the choice of a downrated version? I don't mind giving the buyer a choice, but this only this is weak. Many of your releases are also bare bones with high prices.

The biggest nightmare seems to now be true with Sony buying the MGM library. I do hope an improvement is imminent.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sony is at the bottom of my proverbial barrel as well. I truly despise this company for what it has become: outragious retail prices for sub-standard product. It is now worst than Universal ever was. And with Sony's acquisition of MGM, I guess I can forget about ever seeing BURN WITCH BURN or BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW or THE OFFENCE, etc. on DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, between them they may have enough common sense for one adequate DVD company.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
$ONY started off in the DVD Market quite strong and has gradually become the worst studio. Univer$al is coming up as competition with the upcoming FULL FRAME "Iceman", "Charley Varrick" and "Colosus, The Forbin Project".

Who would have thought though that FOX would emerge as one of the better DVD studios? Go figure.

SONY really is going downhill, now that they have MGM they will drag all those titles down. Better start stocking up on some of the MGM titles. $ONY will probably start replacing all the Widescreen titles with Walmart friendly FULL FRAME transfers.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Again, I will NOT be buying any Sony electronic products until their DVD division explains itself and gets its act back together. If any titles I want become unavailable before I can buy them, I'll have no choice but to either buy them used or make illegal copies of them from borrowed or rented discs, which I now have the capability to do.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
We don't discuss illegal discs here, but I agree. Now that Phony is backpedalling with their TV shows and releasing Best-ofs where there already were season sets I have almost no use for them whatsoever.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Looking at upcoming $ONY discs I only see buying $PIDERMAN II. And Univer$al THE BOURNE $UPREMACY. Other than those titles neither $tudio will get any of my money until they change their practices.

WB, FOX and Paramount, I still love what they release and how they do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks